Author Topic: Different in Winter  (Read 1926 times)

Offline johntaylor49

Different in Winter
« on: July 09, 2011, 12:30:08 PM »
Fellow members,

Having grown up by the sea I would envisage from living in Cyprus for a while that the Fethiye/Calis areas can be very different indeed between November and May!

I am guessing that a place so close to the sea and Mountains can experience some extremes, particulraly high winds, floods and violent storms with hailstones?  

Lady Meldrew and I will be visiting in Septemeber with many tasks apart from attempting to empty the area of raki and fish and trawling round all the historical sites yet again and of course the obligatory boat trips! Among these is to look at some property for rent/buy and we were wondering a) what it is really like in Winter. (No point asking Estate Agents as we know they are all in league with the Devil  :)). and b) where gets the worst? Dont want to buy a charming villa and find out I am pumping it out every winter or having to be rescued from the roof -- or buried under a landslide!

Any thoughts?

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
Different in Winter
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 15:18:58 PM »
Winter is indeed very different. Your weather extreme examples are pretty accurate. In terms of where to be or not, if it's important to have some sun, you will need to be roughly between Tasyaka & Calis. Koca Calis has the reputation of flooding in certain areas.

A lot of the winter evening entertainment tends to be in Calis & the dolmus only runs until around 21:30, so the chances are that you'll find yourself either walking home or taking a taxi at the end of the night.

Offline jackstee

Different in Winter
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 16:03:49 PM »
But if you live in Fethiye It can be brillant during winter. You really get to know soe of the locals and where the good restaurants are

Offline milliemars

Different in Winter
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 16:38:21 PM »
I much perfer winter to summer,we find plenty to do wether it be in Calis,Fethiye or Ovacik where we live.

Offline Harmless

Different in Winter
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 19:08:49 PM »
Fethiye is wonderful in the Winter, especially where I live!

Offline Janice1971

Different in Winter
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 19:16:07 PM »
When I lived in Turkey, winter was my favourite time of year, no tourists (no disrespect) cheaper prices, much nicer temperature too but still loads of sunshine!

Offline Julesp

Different in Winter
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 23:32:32 PM »
Well after 6 years living here, 4 of them in Deliktas Tasyaka,Fethiye and for the last 18 months in Akarca Calis I feel there are good and bad points for both

I love Fethiye because it is a working town that doesnt close in the winter except for Paspatur where the tourist shops close but most bars are still open although quiet except for Saturday nights
Calis is nice especially in summer but is dead in winter with most bars either very quiet or closed
I didnt get mosquito bites in Fethiye but I am plagued in Cali
s
But the bars esp in Paspatur can be very expensive That said there are lots of lokantas and traditional Turk places that are reasonably priced

My opinion but Ive never lived there is that Ovacik and Hisoranu area is full of tourists in Summer and very lively, but in the winter they are like ghost towns Bit like Calis really but more noticeable

Winter feels very cold at night cos its damp and a 10 degree drop from daytime to night temperature is very much felt

And we do get the winds and storms as expected

I love Fethiye but I am also happy living in Calis now

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
Different in Winter
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 11:56:18 AM »
Uzumlu is wonderful in winter - we absolutely love it.  The peace, crisp frosts, wood smoke smell and even the snow (yes, it really does !).  My one tip would be to ensure you have adequate heating.  We bought with summer in mind, a traditional stone villa with ceramic tiles etc.  However is flipping cold in the winter !!  Lovely fire place, but does little to warm the kitchen and upstairs.  So check out underfloor heating etc - brrrrr !!  (but beautiful !).     And when it rains, BOY ! does it rain....Kaya in particular is prone to flooding....

Offline jacqki

Different in Winter
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 14:20:59 PM »
Pookie we too bought a stone villa in Uzumlu and you are right they are very much built with summer living in mind. So far we have suffered the cold when we have been out for short spells in the colder months but next year we will be moving over to live. So I would be very interested to hear how others have overcome this problem and the cost of both installing and running some kind of system. We have a fireplace in the sitting room but even that needs attention before it is fit to use. Advise please and contacts if anyone can help.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf