Author Topic: Asiago Cheese  (Read 5399 times)

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Asiago Cheese
« on: November 23, 2015, 15:39:36 PM »
Does anyone know if I can buy Asiago cheese here, and if so where.

And if not what might be a suitable equivalent... Cheers   :)

Recipe

Potato topping

3 lb. Yellow Finn or Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
¼ cup heavy cream
4 Tbs. unsalted butter
6 Tbs. grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for sprinkling
2 Tbs. chopped chives

Filling

5 Tbs. olive oil, divided, plus more for greasing rings
2 medium yellow onions, halved and sliced (3 cups)
3 medium portobello mushroom caps
1½ lb. assorted wild mushrooms, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
1 cup grated Asiago cheese
2 Tbs. flat leaf parsley, thyme, oregano, and/or sage

1. To make Potatoes: Put potatoes in pot, and cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 30 minutes, or until tender. Drain. Warm cream and butter in pot; add potatoes, and mash until smooth. Stir in Parmesan and chives, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cool.

2. To make Filling: Heat 1 Tbs. oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onions, and cook 20 minutes, or until golden.

3. Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray. Set portobellos gill-side up on baking sheet, and drizzle with 1 Tbs. oil. Roast 25 minutes, or until tender. Cool, then slice thin.

4. Toss wild mushrooms with remaining 3 Tbs. oil and garlic on separate baking sheet; season with salt and pepper, if desired. Roast 20 minutes, or until tender. Cool, chop, and toss with Asiago, herbs, and onions.

5. Coat baking sheet and inside of 8 3-inch baking rings or 9-inch pie dish with cooking spray. Layer portobello slices on bottom of each ring. (Add any leftover portobellos to mushroom mixture.) Use half of wild mushroom mixture to create second layer. Use one-third of Potatoes to create third layer, then add remaining mushroom mixture. Top with remaining Potatoes, shaping each into dome. Sprinkle each pie with pinch of Parmesan. Bake 40 minutes, or until golden. Let cool in rings 5 minutes. Use metal spatula to transfer pies (in rings) to plates. Run paring knife around inside of rings to loosen; lift off rings.

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/wild-mushroom-and-caramelized-onion-shepherd-s-pies/

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Asiago Cheese
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 16:57:29 PM »
Parmesan or Gran Padano are acceptable substitutes.

JF

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 17:10:49 PM »
cheers John   :)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 17:11:40 PM »
According to posters on Yahoo Answers, you can use Parmesan or Romano as a substitute.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 17:20:05 PM »
Romano is an American term for pretty much all hard aged cheeses.  It's not actually a cheese as such - and has nothing to do with Pecorino Romano, a hard sheeps milk cheese.

JF

Offline scorcher

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 17:34:40 PM »
That'll be hard cheese to you then KKOB!   ;)

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 19:44:08 PM »
Dunno the answer, but the recipe has my mouth watering  ;D

Offline Lotty

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 20:54:01 PM »
You must be on a diet Nichola? . . . .  ;)

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 20:57:31 PM »
Mine too Bernie. That's why I shared it. I'll be using normal potatoes, normal onions and normal mushrooms and maybe some broccoli would be nice as well. Also thought some white fish would be a nice variation to try in the filling.

I'm not sure which of the suggested cheeses are available apart from Parmesan which I know you can get here. Parmesan is not a vegetarian cheese though just in case anyone who is one fancies making this 'vegetarian' dish.

Thanks for the suggestion everyone and no Lotty, not on a diet (did you not see the cream in the potato topping - that will be Kaymak, like clotted cream) but I was vegetarian for many years so we tend to eat quite a lot of veggie meals and Dogan who once told me he couldn't imagine a meal without meat now considers it quite normal.

Offline Lotty

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2015, 22:45:44 PM »
I was joking! Lol!   ;) -  it's really rich, potatoes, cheese, butter, plus Parmesan. Sounds yummy but a little will go a long way!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf