Author Topic: New Residency  (Read 14326 times)

Offline JambeckGill

• Newly Registered
New Residency
« on: April 26, 2014, 01:05:07 AM »
I have spent hours researching the latest information on Residency application and today have seen that you will need to get your passport notarised. Please can somebody advise where I can get this done in Fethiye when I arrive next month, and how much it is likely to cost for 2 passports?
I will have an annual travel insurance that provides medical cover for £10 million and it will cover me for the one year Residency. Does anyone know if this will be accepted by the Police?
I have also read that a form has to be signed by the Nufus - sorry what does this mean?
I am not looking forward to this process- if we experience difficulty getting Residency then we will have to return to the UK after 90 days.We own a villa and it's my first few months of retirement where we plan to spend 6 months. We did not envisage these difficulties trying to get Residency!

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
Re: New Residency
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 06:06:42 AM »
Hi - can't give you all your answers but we have some friends who were one of the first through the system this week and in almost the same position as you. They used a "guide" - Yakub was his name (there are others who members may recommend) and said "at this stage (lots of confusion on part of the authorities) you could not do it on your own so we concluded we were right to pay for the guide"

They said for 2 of them it came to 1400 lira and this included 2 x 190 lira for medical insurance which hopefully you won't need to purchase but if you do - it won't break the bank at 190 lira each - interestingly it is called "emergency medical cover" but they nor the guide could work out what it covered - even with the guide reading the policy document - but it was purchased from an insurance broker that the guide had found who did a "cheap option" and the polis accepted it!!!

The passports had to be translated / notorised - I think this was about 100 lira each - they had to go to the Muhtar - this was about 30 lira each - the guide was 150 lira (recent increase!) and the surprise to me was they both had to pay a "tax" of almost 200 lira each.

So if your medical insurance is accepted you should end up at about 1000 lira - including the price of the guide and the actual 1 year residency at 50 lira each - so at current rates £290.

I would identify a good guide and pay it as opposed to getting stressed out and messing up the first flush of retirement.

On a separate note it is beautiful over here at the moment - lovely weather  - not too hot - and everywhere looks marvelous with all the road / kordon developments - I am now going to juice the fresh oranges for our breakfast - add fresh strawberries to the cereal followed by fresh bread and jam and this after an early morning walk before going to the Saturday Market - it will add 10 years to your life - so come and enjoy !!! s    :)

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 06:34:13 AM »
Ref passports, you actually need to get them translated & this is done at the notary office, if you've bought property recently, & still have the same passports, you may already have had this done.

Nufus is just one of the offices in the belidiye building, it deals with the population.

However, as Ian has already said, if you use a guide, they will take you to all the necessary offices, fill in your forms & do some of the legwork where your presence isn't needed. IMHO it was worth every kurus, I used Arzu Kantur at A&A Translations.

To be fair, I haven't heard of anyone having their residency application refused, including people who live on boats in the various local marinas, so wouldn't worry too much on that score.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
New Residency
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 07:22:44 AM »
I'm not nit picking but does your annual travel insurance cover you for 12 months 'holiday' I know there are companies that will cover you for this length of time but does this include non UK residents - which you will become when you move to Turkey surely?

I would go through the small print with a fine tooth comb if I were you. Insurance companies will find any possible way to get out of paying - so best not to give them any options!

Offline Ian

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 07:54:53 AM »
Although I might be wrong Stoop - I would hope most people who prefer to "pay as you go" will continue to do so in spite of the "emergency cover insurance" on offer at 190 tl and others should do what they would normally do as regards personal heath cover - in other words treat this "emergency cover" as not being worth the paper it is written on at this stage but it "ticks a box" and if - God forbid - you end up in hospital and you produce your "emergency cover" first and they tell you this policy will cover the treatment then don't claim on your own insurance.

When it becomes clear just what it covers - we may take a different view - but I will continue to pay SGK for 12 months of the year even though we are only out here for 8 of them - for peace of mind!

Finally I know a few people who take out continuous lots of 4 or 5 or 6 months or longer (backpacker type) travel insurance with Staysure or similar and they ignore some important UK rules about being registered with a doctor / being out of the UK for more days than permitted to maintain your doctor etc etc and like you I have advised them that "if" you make a very large claim they will look under every stone to get out of paying and just asking for your passport - as they will - could land you with a very big problem.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 11:51:12 AM »
I believe you only have to pay "tax" for your first application and this has always been the case.

Passports needs to be notarized which is a change but the advantage there is that they no longer send your passport off with your application.

Another change is that applications now go to Ankara instead of Muğla and are returned to your home address, so of course you need to be there for when it arrives.

Muğla used to have the whole thing completed and returned in two weeks under the old system a huge improvement on the 6-8 weeks they used to take.

It will be good to know Ian how long your friends application takes and if it is sent signed for as the delivery of post is a bit hit and miss at the best of times.

Offline JambeckGill

• Newly Registered
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 12:46:11 PM »
Thankyou for your constructive and useful comments.
Ian-if you're able to please can you send me details of how I can contact Yakub.
If anyone else knows of other good contacts who offer a similar service with residency application perhaps you could send me details. My email address is xxxxxxxx@btinternet.com should you not want to put them on an open forum.
Regarding the medical ins I'm up to speed with this and familiar with the small print. In our circumstances we will be ok with this as we will be in the UK for a period of 6 months which meets the criteria. If required we will purchase the emergency cover in Turkey.
Finally Ian,  thankyou for your lovely comments regarding current weather and lifestyle. Looking forward to returning to our beautiful villa in Turkey and getting this residency sorted once and for all!
Nichola - it's good to hear that we won't have to send our passports with the application as we need to pop back to the UK for a quick visit in July.
If anyone can update us when they know the length of time it takes for submission and return of the new completed application process it would be appreciated.
Once again thankyou everyone .   :)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 13:07:27 PM »
I removed your email address, members can contact you through your profile.  Not a good idea to have your email on a forum, too many Spambots regularly scan them.

JF

Offline snowtop

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 15:16:22 PM »
Just a quick note.
Are members aware that renewal of residency has to be applied for no later than 10 days after the expire date and NOT 15 days which was the norm before April 1 this 2014.

Offline Ian

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 15:50:02 PM »
Nichola - hi - I will try to update when they get their application returned and as you say it has gone to Ankara.

As regards to the "tax" they have had up until now a 1 year residency so this is their 2nd one year arrangement so maybe the tax is paid "once" from the onset of the new system?

I am sure it will have a few more twists and turns.

JambeckGill - Yakub - I am pretty certain he is based close to the Mulberry Tree in Fethiye but I have seen his name mentioned favourably by other members so hopefully one will provide you with his contact details if not I will get them for you in a few days.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf