Author Topic: A rose-tinted-glasses view of Calis  (Read 5919 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
A rose-tinted-glasses view of Calis
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 13:29:45 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Steve A

App 5yrs ago had never been to Calis,only been to Turkey once.4 days later I was the proud owner of a 3 bed villa and now get there as often as poss.This either makes me mad or cat 1 Iam not sure !

I'd say that it makes you quite normal! It is amazing the number of people who visit to view property and are fairly sure they won't be buying - they have looked at France, Spain, Bulgaria etc and didn't buy, and believe that they will not see anything to make them put pen to paper in Calis/Fethiye. But they do and are signing contracts in no time  :)

Offline heatherhanum

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 14:03:05 PM »
I visited 15 years ago and fell in love immediately I saw the view from the Aytur Hotel. I have since visited 3-4 times every year and have never tired of beautiful Calis I long to be there x

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 14:07:39 PM »
When I first went I went alone, in February. I walked from the far end of the prom (the bend that was/is Oben corner) to the Harem and back, and saw literally nobody. I remember standing on the prom, with leaves chasing around in circles where the restaurant tables are now, looking out to sea and thinking that this was the place.

Offline heatherhanum

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 14:26:12 PM »
It is truly a drug x

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, 14:28:00 PM »
"You'll keep coming back" as a wise man once wrote  ;)

Offline John H

• Hamilton, Lanarkshire, UK
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2011, 17:06:48 PM »
We had our first holiday in Calis around 16 years ago. The coach transfer dropped us off on the Dalaman Road and we were then taken to Calis in a minibus.It was a very rough road and most of the buildings looked as if they came from the set of a 'spaghetti western'. The journey was completed in total silence each of us thinking 'what have we let ourselves in for'. The minibus pulled up at the rear of the Mutlu Hotel and when we walked into the hotel grounds and saw part of the bay through the beautiful gardens it was 'WOW'. The people we met did the rest to make us love the resort. I doubt that we will ever tire of Calis. Introduced a few friends to the area and most of them were also smitten.

Offline lolly

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2011, 06:35:35 AM »
First time we visited Calis was October 1996....coming from Dalaman we thought we had arrived in Beirut!!!!! Then we got to Ten Apart and the love affair with Calis began, even though that first time it rained for 10 days out of the 14 we were there we vowed to return the following year. Due to circumstances it was 2 years before we got back but then visited once or twice a year up until 2006. My husband celebrated his 40th birthday there and we had a brilliant holiday but it was also a very sad holiday as we knew we were saying goodbye that year to some very dear friends as we flew out to our new life here in Australia in October of that year.
I don't miss England one little bit but I soooooo miss Calis and the wonderful people there. Unfortunately it is a little too far to hop on a plane twice a year for our hols!!!! But who knows maybe someday soon we will visit again..................I sure hope so.

Lolly x

Offline Cavfan

• Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2011, 09:54:48 AM »
We fell in love at first sight too from the view from our digs- the Kumsal Pension( above the Harem)!
We said to ourselves there and then  8)
I bet in 15 years we'll have our own place and lo and behold we did! Impulsive us! ;)

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2011, 10:32:41 AM »
On our first visit my then teenage daughter and I were harrassed all the way along the prom by a guy who just wouldn't take no for an answer. It was quite scary and we took refuge outside a restaurant where the staff seeing our distress told the guy in no uncertain terms to go away.
We stayed for many subsequent years in Kaya and never wanted to return to Calis.
One day we decided to give it another go and now we live here.
I suppose the moral is to not let one rotten apple spoil the crop!

Offline jul bri

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2011, 10:59:15 AM »
Wife booked a holiday here,about 10 years ago i didnt realy fancy it. then few of our boys got stabbed in Istambul at a football match, told the wife she can cancel the holiday im not going there, which she did, a few years later she said she wanted to go to Olu deniz and persuaded me to go, first week very good,lovely people nice place then someone said "go into fethiye have a look around,catch ferry over to calis",so off we went, well when i first saw the bay gobsmacked absolutely beautiful.took ferry across to calis stunning the views wonderful,definately (cat 1 for us) feel in love with the place. to cut long story short,Second week of our holiday, before we went home,we bought a turkish house in yaniklar, that was six years ago, last years we retired and move out here,never been so happy.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf