Author Topic: Finnike, Elmali, Snow!  (Read 1999 times)

Offline Supacabby

• Sunny Brighton
  • Location: Sunny Eastbourne by the sea aka Gods waiting room :)
  • Calis Beach - next best place to heaven...
Finnike, Elmali, Snow!
« on: February 07, 2012, 19:34:28 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150529694816914.372307.741226913&type=1&l=7fd3cb7fde

After an eventful overnight stay in Finnike this was the last part of the 2 days trip. I say eventful, it would be funny to read but not to be involved in! Found a hotel, 60tl for B&B x 2 persons, seems ok to me. The room was suitable enough, on the top floor of a 4 storey block just opposite the beach, separated by the main coast road. We asked for a room at the back hoping it would be quieter, hmmm, wise men & all that! There was a fierce thunderstorm during the night, the electricity failed numerous times & every time it cut back in it bleeped the alarm etc, the door to the terrace blew open & could not be closed as it had bent so it banged continuously until I "got the hump" & wedged it open with a chair, sod the wet carpet, I just wanted sleep lol. Got about 2 hours decent sleep, nice hot shower, decent Turkish breakfast then took the 1st of the pics, it was wet & wild outside! Julie & I considered abandoning the day & returning back along the coast but decided to carry on regardless, foolhardy or stupid, you decide, especially when you read on a bit more!

Left "Portakal" country & headed away up into the hill to Elmali, nice enough main road, some good pics down through the valley & a small waterfall. We decided to follow the signs for Fethiye which take you over the mountain road through some lovely little Turkish villages (be fab in cherry blossom season up here, it's full of trees!) past Seki, this is where the fun really started, last night was just a blur now! It will suffice to say the rain turned to snow & it got heavier by the metre climbed up the mountain road. We got stopped by a car coming the opposite way, "road kaput" was the sum total of my understanding. Remember that "stubborn git" from the previous day? Well he was back, I'd got 90% of the way up the hill so carried on, now even I was thinking I'd bitten off more than I could chew, I was reminded we were in a Renault Clio not a Land Rover Defender more than once  :) Eventually I had to give in, simply ran out of road, it was snow city, oh well, I tried. This meant a double back through Elmali onto the main road (appx 30klms) then a right turn back around the base of the mountain through Akcay & Gombe onto the Kalkan road. At 1 stage Fethiye was "just" 80klms away, after the 30klms detour we now had another 139 to go, it really was "the long way round" lol.

Point if interest: I was doing this from memory as had no map covering this area!

It was now raining harder than ever so "Home James" was the order of the day, only stopped to take 4 more pics & got home in daylight, just! Am now left wondering what Seki is really like, anyone got a 4x4 then want to let out for the day? :D

Offline CAROL BROWNE

Finnike, Elmali, Snow!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 20:41:11 PM »
lovely pictures. we drove kas & kalkan beautiful places. we done it last oct

Offline Kentcabbie

Finnike, Elmali, Snow!
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 20:56:07 PM »
See you took the "cabbies Route", nice pictures though.

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
Finnike, Elmali, Snow!
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 21:30:02 PM »
Oh poor you S'cabby. Loved reading about the trip, but a nightmare for you two.
 8)

Offline hazel dorrington

Finnike, Elmali, Snow!
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 22:24:14 PM »
We have driven this route in summer and the road in cloud was frightening enough but in snow it would have been terrifying to me. Great to see the photos keep then coming please.

Offline buddy

Finnike, Elmali, Snow!
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 12:43:10 PM »
Great photos and blog Mark  :). I went looking for the Seki ski slopes last year and ended up over the pass and into Elmali, wish I'd had time to stop in the lovely old town, sit outside one of the cafes and watch the Turk's going about their business 8), but we had to get to Kas. The drive through the forest to Kas was interesting as every signpost had bullet holes in them :o, somebody practicing their drive-by shootings? Sat in a harbour side restaurant in Kas and ate a Baracuda, tasty but a bit bony:P. Then back to along the Coast road to Kalkan, and on to Calis, the journey took us 220 miles in total but was a great day out.

Offline turkeysue

Finnike, Elmali, Snow!
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 21:21:58 PM »
not only brilliant pics but a story to go with it...many thanx once again for your time and tales...:D:D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf