Author Topic: Upside down bridge yok!  (Read 13711 times)

Offline happy_flyer

Upside down bridge yok!
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2012, 19:51:37 PM »
Silly question of the day.
If the upsidedown bridge has now going how would you get to other side ? Is there a bridge further away from the sea or do you have to from somewhere the Pelin hotel side ?

Offline Supacabby

• Sunny Brighton
  • Location: Sunny Eastbourne by the sea aka Gods waiting room :)
  • Calis Beach - next best place to heaven...
Upside down bridge yok!
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2012, 19:57:30 PM »
You answered your own "silly" question lol. Go along from the Pelin to the little bridge there & turn right running up that side of the river or of course come in from the top end by Orange Grove.

Unless you're walking/pushbike/scooter then go over the footbridge at the bottom near the main road & the derelict hotel/flats.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 15:39:34 PM by Supacabby »

Offline lindsey

Upside down bridge yok!
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2012, 20:28:35 PM »
Am I the only one that is sad to see the upside down bridge go? Another quirky landmark gone just like the Dolphin roundabout.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Upside down bridge yok!
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2012, 20:41:54 PM »
I too am sad to see it go (although it had to go because it became an obstacle to water flow in heavy rain times) - it was very Calis and very Turkey - a bridge that was below water level when most needed! Also the dolphin roundabout and the round bridge over the water taxi canal that linked Club-E area to Anna Bar area - so steep on the up and down sides that one trace of dew on it and you ended up skiing down - and the old ford we had to negotiate in our cars down towards the Pelin - there was only one safe way across it and you took your foot off the gas on the way up at your peril - all very special and ridiculous.

I was thinking a while back, how the Dolphin Roundabout obtained it's fame and cult status. It was not an old friend from decades ago, I can't quite remember exactly how long it was there, but it wasn't much more than a few years. I remember when it was first put in, you could sit in one of the bars and watch people drive straight into it (one car ending up on it's roof, another I remember catching fire). I also remember it was taken out for the big cycle race which terminated at that junction for that day. It didn't help much, at least one rider ended up skidding on those horrendous stones and ended up on his backside with a very skinned leg.

Classic times.

Offline lindsey

Upside down bridge yok!
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2012, 20:49:21 PM »
I remember them too now. And the removal of the roundabout on race day. Good memories of things that made the area special.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Upside down bridge yok!
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2012, 21:04:31 PM »
I remember when they put the central reservations in. Two continuous rows of huge concrete blocks, cemented together lengthways in two strips a couple of feet apart - and the entire length filled in with soil to create the flower beds. In no time, men arrived and filled them with yellow and orange marigolds. Beautiful. Then a few days later some other men came and carefully removed every single flower.

As if that wasn't enough central reservation palaver, I remember men came to put in the palm trees at regular intervals. Sadly nobody had realised that the roots are way wider than the trees, and two concrete blocks on each side had to be broken free, the tree planted, then the blocks replaced. You just don't get that here  ;)

Offline buddy

Upside down bridge yok!
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2012, 23:32:18 PM »
Mr Scunner, I sense a few moments of fond remeniscence of your times living in Calis Beach, you and your family must have some wonderful memories of those years.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Upside down bridge yok!
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2012, 23:42:46 PM »
Mr Buddy, you sense most correctly - we had a sensational time, and the kids have their own memories that they still talk about. It was a great place to be. I loved it. Now, I quite like it.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Upside down bridge yok!
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2012, 08:04:59 AM »
I was wondering, do your girls still remember the Turkish they learned?  It would be very useful for them in the future to have a second language. I remember you saying how they used to chat away to each other in Turkish.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Upside down bridge yok!
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2012, 08:59:18 AM »
Very, very little now - certainly less than me, which is a real shame as they were absolutely fluent. It was just too difficult to keep it relevant and I guess without needing to use it, it just goes. It would be interesting to see if it has been deleted or stored though.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf