Author Topic: Bringing a car into Turkey via Greee.  (Read 6300 times)

Offline starman™

Bringing a car into Turkey via Greee.
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2010, 07:50:40 AM »
Also remember those people that are thinking of bringing their car here. Once you have entered the country you can not leave Turkey without your car. The car can stay for 180 days but you will get a 3 month visa. So you either have to go to Greece for the day to renew your visa, get a 6 month residency or leave your car impounded at customs whilst you get your visa changed.
Once the 180 days is up then you must take the car out of Turkey and the car can not come back for another 180 days at least. Then you can do the same process again but you would never be able to bring that vehicle back in to Turkey again.

Offline peter16

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2010, 22:20:39 PM »
Daffodil, also from what I can remember Kavala has the biggest mozzies on the entire Greek coastline, they're like flying maneating dragons, in fact the mozzies in Calis are in comparison almost akin to tame pussycats. The memory of them will live with me forever :o :ough!!!

Offline Old Daffodil

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2010, 07:27:32 AM »
Which hotel did you stay at?:DKavala is a sea side place where were the mozzies? We were high up on a cliff overlooking the sea.I think it is the second largest town in northern Greece and there are loads of yachts which sail in there. I never saw any mozzies. Did see an Ulusoy bus with some tourists visiting though!:DSail up there in you boat Peter and check it out again!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 07:48:06 AM by Daffodil »

Offline bunny4jeff

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2011, 19:21:25 PM »
Hi Daffodil,
I know its a long while since your post, but I presume you still drive to Turkey and back to the UK? I was wanting to know if you think it is a worthwhile journey. It seems expensive and a long trip compared to flying what with fuel cost, hotels, food etc on the way. Obviously, many more things can be brought into Turkey, and taken back, than travelling by plane. We are in the process of collecting maps and planning the route. I would appreciate any advice, pros and cons..of doing the journey with your UK car, and back. Thanks for anything, good or bad.. to help us decide whether to travel this way or not. Benefits that appear obvious are the scenic side, and visiting other countries, carrying more, being able to use your car in Turkey for 6 months. The cons?? I bet there are a few of those...cost of petrol, hotel, food, length of trip..any more? ...
quote:
Originally posted by Daffodil

If you drive into Turkey from Greece the border officials want to see all you vehicle documents including a GREEN card.Some insurance companies in England say this is not needed for Turkey, ignore them it is when you arrive at the border. They also want the chassis number of your car.
We drove from Cannakle along the coast and it was a very pleasant ride. There was a little car ferry which brings you across from either Gelibolu or Kilibahir to Cannakle (Burgher King is also here!).It was a sunny day and the crossing was very pleasant, only about half an hour.We just drove straight to the port and bought a ticket.The D550 takes you along the coast road past Truva (Troy).There is a modern shopping centre at Akcoy (Waikiki,Koton,Benetton,Billabong). There are a lot of outlet shops here and La Tazze coffe or
Burgher King is you do not want a Turkish restaurant.
Once you reach Izmir keep to the left hand lanes and head Bornova then Aydin on the motorway.

Offline Old Daffodil

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2011, 06:58:54 AM »
Hi bunny4jeff,
We drove to Turkey and back as we wanted to bring our dogs into England without putting them in quarantine. {A Link to an old CBF topic was here - no longer available}35961                           We also visited a lot of places to make it a holiday as well. Quite a few people on the forum have travelled over and taken different routes. We travelled with Sat Nav and maps and made for Clerment Ferrand where there is a volcanic area to visit which is interesting.There are hotel chains in France and they have good web sites.We stayed there for a look around. The crossing into Italy at the Frejus Tunnel in Modane cost 35euros and took about 12 minutes.Rivoli near Turin (Torino) was our next stopping place for a rest.We made found the Davide Hotel there which was convenient for a quick rest and then we visited Pisa, Florence and Rome for a few days staying in hotels. I would not advise driving in Rome but stay outside near a train station.There is a  bus travelling in a circular route in Rome which you hop on and off with one ticket.
We then caught the ferry from Brindisi,just turned up and bought a ticket.Brindisi was a very pleasant area and we went for a meal whilst waiting for the overnight ferry to Igoumenitsa. We then drove across Greece to Kavala for a night in one of the hotels and a lovely meal on the sea front.There are no service areas on the  Egnatia motorway that I saw.We had driven to Thessalonika but did not like it there much so did not stop for long. We crossed into Turkey at Ipsala quite early in the morning and were asked for our Green Card and papers but not searched. Some cars are searched.We then made for one of the ferries across the Dardanelles 25TL.If you want to visit the wartime landing sites make for the second ferry crossing and it is in that area. The ferry itself does not take long to cross the Dardanelles and you catch it at Gelibolu or Lapseki (Lord Byron swam it). It was a very pleasant short journey,just time for a cup of tea!The road to Izmir is coastal and passes Troy(Truva) .The big wooden horse near a cafe gives it away.We also stopped at Akcoy where there was a small mall with toilets and La Tazze Coffee etc.Once at Izmir head for Bournova and pick up the toll road to Aydin 2.5TL,then make for Mugla and then Fethiye.
On the return journey we crossed to Ancona in Italy (Superfast Ferry)and a very helpful steward called Georgiou) and stayed in the Asti area overnight at the Cascina Bella Vista.Once in France we lived there for seven months and visited loads of places!
I am sure others on the forum can suggest different routes for you.
As to the expense. I would use a RAC or AA route planner to work out the cost of petrol by expected mileage. The cost will depend on if you stay in hotels,visit places,eat out etc. On the ferries you may or may not book a cabin.People were sleeping on deck with sleeping bags and pillows. I wish you luck with your plans! :) I am sure there are cons but can't think of any at the moment! :)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 08:21:56 AM by Daffodil »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf