Author Topic: Birmingham?  (Read 1984 times)

Offline Dido

Birmingham?
« on: July 28, 2006, 11:09:14 AM »
I have just had an 'Adult Education' booklet through the door and notice that Turkish is taught only at The Brasshouse Centre in the middle of the city. It's a fair old way for me and before making a commitment I'm just wondering..
Does anyone have experience of this centre?
What are the class sizes like? I have heard they're quite large.
Parking?
Any info would be most welcome.
Thanks
D x

Offline Steve B

• The Hairy Branflake
Birmingham?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 11:22:44 AM »
Yes, I know the lady who teaches the course (a freind of my ex) I was on the course a good few years ago and did find it beneficial however, it's like learning any language, 1 hour a week really isn't enough but if you just want to learn a few phrases then the course is fine.
On the subject of class sizes the funniest thing happened. Our class was a group of around 20 with most of them being woman who had fallen in love with 'Mustafa' or 'Mehmet' the wonderful waiter she had met whilst on holiday. As the course went on through the weeks it ended up with around 6 of us. Mustafa and Mehmet must have upset these young ladies, I can't think how!.

The Brasshouse is just off Broad St, so parking can be a bit pricey.
Is it worth it? Well, that depends on how much you want to learn. I must admit its a great way to meet people who have the same interest at heart. To really benefit from the course you need to set yourself a few hours a week to run through your Turkish vocabulary.

If you need any leaflets or anything Dido. Let me know as I don't mind nipping around there for you and I can post any info that I think you may find of interest.

Offline Dido

Birmingham?
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 13:52:31 PM »
Thanks for your kind offer Steve. Am now on hols myself and so plan to have a trip up there and to gen up for myself. Thanks again.
D x
PS Hope your daughter is enjoying herself.

Offline Phil

Birmingham?
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 10:01:50 AM »
I have been going to Brasshouse for three years and I am just about to enroll for my 4th year.

The course is as good as you make it - some people expect to learn a language by just doing two hours a week - Well you can't. You need to make a committment and do the homework and study yourself.

I have found the course to be a great motivator and by doing other work as well I have made good progress. You must be prepared to make a fool of yourself and have a go at all the speaking exercises - don't go to just sit in the corner and listen. The good news is that Turkish is actually quite an easy language to learn.

Get a couple of Teach Yourself Turkish books and CD's (contact me if you want some titles) and use these to work along side the course. If you are serious about learning try to do at least one hour a day (instead of watching Eastenders !!).

The first class I ever went to had nearly thirty people turn up but this rapidly dwindled to a more manageable size and my class now has about 7 or 8 regulars.

There is no parking on site and you have to park in the multi storey which works out at about three pounds a lesson - but at least your car has still got wheels on it when you get back !!!

iyi sanslar
en iyi dileklerimle
Phil

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf