Author Topic: linkword way of learning turkish  (Read 3888 times)

Offline seegeekay

« on: January 07, 2007, 14:18:24 PM »
sue and i have always made a,point of learning some words of the language of whichever country visited, so in 2005 having signed on the dotted line,knew we must learn much more turkish, found a brilliant website for beginners--linkwordlanguages.com and for the princely sum of £8.99 were able to download 311 pages .It really has worked well,sue and i learnt our first 10 words in half an hour then when we got to turkey and tried out our newly learnt words we were able to fine tune pronunciations.its worth having a look with a few examples on the first page to show how you do it. :)

Offline quackers

linkword way of learning turkish
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 18:16:02 PM »
I agree, you should learn a few words at least. So I went to our local Library and borrowed a book plus CD's for beginners Turkish and although basic it has proved a good start. Has anyone used Rosetta Stone? It is fairly expensive but is it good?

Offline quackers

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 18:19:26 PM »
Just noticed the link to Transparent Language at top of page. I clicked on it but they don't apear to do Turkish unless I missed something.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 18:35:34 PM »
Yeah, you missed it  ;)

http://www.transparent.com/languagepages/turkish/turkish.htm

From what I've been told, the Rosetta Stone package is a bit overpriced for what you actually get.  The main complaint seems to be that it doesn't take you very far for what is quite a lot of money.

Incidentally, having seen the Linguaphone PDQ package myself, I would say it suffers from the same problem, although at a fifth of the price of Rosetta Stone, I suppose it's not bad value for what it is.

JF

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 18:47:35 PM »
I also have the pdq set, but found going to the local college more beneficial.

Tinx ;)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 19:26:46 PM »
It definitely is.  The biggest problem is that so few colleges and uni's have Turkish on the curriculum.

I learnt a lot more from one thirteen week course at Dundee Uni than from any books or CD's.  A lot of that may have been down to the teacher, but you can't beat having someone there, face to face, to answer questions and help with pronunciation.  

The core textbook we used was "Colloquial Turkish" by Aarssen & Backus ISBN 0415157463 which you can buy with an accompanying set of CD's or Tapes.  Even on its own its a pretty good starting point.

JF

Offline Twin Bee

• The Artist Formerly Known As
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 21:58:41 PM »
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 22:00:37 PM by Twin Bee »

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 19:30:57 PM »
www.turkishclass.com is good too. Rosetta is good, got ours on ebay, its a homemade copy but a fraction of the usual price and does the same. Cd's in the car work well too, its amazing how much goes into the subconscious while you're driving.

Offline Keith

• Middleton, Manchester, UK
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 20:09:17 PM »
http://www.turkishclass.com/ Is very good, but don`t forget the online dictionary that you can download from the site for free.

Offline jo b

• Chandler's Ford, UK
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 09:31:36 AM »
I have just had a three month subscription with Rosetta the first few times I used I thought it was quite good but after that I found it tedious...and how useful is "the boy is under the aeroplane" or "the boy is on the aeroplane"? Needless to say I have cancelled subscription!

I am in my third year of Turkish at a local college and still finding it really difficult and struggle beyond the basic greetings and phrases-its certainly not easy I still find it hard to recognise the verbs with all the different endings on them!!

Good luck seegeekay.

Jo.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf