Author Topic: Learn Turkish in North East  (Read 3545 times)

Offline CeeDee

Learn Turkish in North East
« on: February 14, 2007, 09:10:15 AM »
Hi All,
I'm interested in learning Turkish, as I have an apartment in Calis and intend to spend a lot of time there in the coming years.
I live in Sunderland and would prefer to attend lessons rather than home learning.
Does anyone know of classes local to the area

thanks,
Chris

Offline teresa321

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 12:01:37 PM »
Chris

I searched for a class before we moved over and the nearest I found was at Darlington/Middlesbrough.  Darlington advertised the TROCN 1 course but it never happened due to lack of demand (may be on this year). Legless (Ron) actually attended a 12 week course at Middlesbrough if I recall.

Teresa

Offline legless

• Muppet on Wheels
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 17:33:46 PM »
Yes, but i am not sure if it is still running now plus it was at the local college, which might be a tad too far to travel
Ron

Offline CeeDee

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 09:29:18 AM »
Ron,
Do you have a contact or address please

Chris

Offline farry

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 09:49:29 AM »
Ron,

Did the course run at Kirby college?

Farry

Offline civciv

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 22:19:42 PM »
My ex Turkish teacher and friend used to run Turkish classes at Darlington Tech College but there wasnt enough interest to continue running it for 2006/7.  She also did some teaching at Kirby (Middlesbrough) College but didnt get paid properly so told them she wouldnt teach any more as they messed her about.

Its a shame there isnt enough interest to run these classes, but I think people think its going to be really difficult to learn.  Actually it isnt that hard as there are rules for everything, unlike english!

Offline teresa321

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 06:02:15 AM »
That is probably the course I tried for, they took my name and said if enough people were interested they would call me but that was in 2005/6.  Mind you I have no faith in Colleges so I didn't expect much.

I think the interest around the country will vary according to the number of Turkish people in the community.  I would imagine that most people who take normal package tours are not going to go on a language course.

If enough people ask Darlington for the course perhaps they will try again - although they may have lost the teacher.  

It is learning all the rules - and the exceptions to the rules that is the hard part, the theory behind it is easy I agree.

Teresa (trying hard to learn a bit of Turkish)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 06:05:34 AM by teresa321 »

Offline legless

• Muppet on Wheels
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2007, 09:06:46 AM »
My course was done at Kings Manor School I thinkit was in conjuction with Middlesbrough College

Ron

Offline CeeDee

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2007, 14:46:16 PM »
Thanks all, for replies, it looks like I may have to do some home learning, can any one advise on a good package to purchase.

Chris

Offline Maz

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 12:34:35 PM »
Hi - I work at the Uni based in Middlesbrough and we have a really diverse student population (amazing what you can pick up off the literature when you work here  :) - I'm sure there must be Turkish students/staff willing to give lessons.  As email addresses shouldn't be posted here, if you Google University of Teesside Students' Union, you'll find their website, with contact details on.  They have noticeboards in the Union that advertise everything from jobs/rooms to let.  Might be worth a try?  Also, the local Colleges all have their own websites - e.g. Redcar & Cleveland, Darlington College, Hartlepool College, Middlesbrough College - they might be worth a look-see at.

Good luck in your quest!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf