Author Topic: Your early years  (Read 1038 times)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Your early years
« on: March 04, 2007, 12:36:02 PM »
Sorry folks this thread got much longer than I had intended but here goes anyway

What do you remember from your early years. Some of my early memories (in no particular order) are

My primary school playground being a covered in a sheet of ice

Cremola Foam, Birdseye Instant Whip, Lucky Bags

Our first car - a two-tone Hillman Minx - cream and brown. Leather seats, doors so heavy you could hardly open them.

Living in a butt-n-ben with no electricity or inside toilet for a few months (too young to remember why)

Being told by my music teacher that the schools in Aberdeen would never close because of the typhoid. Doctor Ian McQueen's calm professionalism during the outbreak; the free concert at the fish market to celebrate the outbreaks end.

Watching a poor fellow collide with a hockey goal post and seeing his fibula sticking out having broken the skin.

Cod liver oil tablets, vile tasting cough mixture, the unreachable itch under the plaster on my broken wrist (fell off my aunts cherry red loft ladder because it was so highly polished).

Getting six of the best for the first time. Maths teacher asked what would you be left with if you shaved the corners off a wooden triangular prism he claimed it was a cylinder and didn't appreciate my answer of a pile of wood chips. Also got six for not having a swimming cap. Changed days indeed.

Being off school for a long time and my first day back. A new Physics teacher had arrived and he asked if I was a new boy to the school. I said no and that I had been off. He asked for how long, and when I said seven months, he asked if a had a sick note.

Being taken by an aunt to a posh restaurant as a reward for passing my eleven plus (yes I am that old). I had never seen so much cutlery and didn't know that you started at the outside and worked your way inwards.

Spring vests, duffle coats, balaclavas, woollen gloves (and only ever being able to find one)

Going to Gordonstoun to play rugby - what a beautiful place far less as a school.

Choking on my very first drag on a fag.

Delivering rowies (probably known as butteries to most members) Used to have to get up in the dark to number the bags and put in the right number of rowies before setting out in all weathers. Not that it matter when you are young you never seem to bother about bad weather. There's nothing quite like a still-warm Aberdeen rowie covered in butter.

Playing football in the playground with a tennis ball ; leather footballs with laces that got heavier and heavier in wet weather; my first pair of Puma football boots.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf