Author Topic: Causing Offence  (Read 2442 times)

Offline Nikos

« on: March 07, 2007, 23:09:47 PM »
I think some people are missing the point when it comes to causing offence.  It is the recipient of a remark (or someone else who reads/overhears it) who is entitled to decide whether that remark is offensive to them.  It is not the decison of the person who made the remark.  Neither does anyone else have the right to decide whether the recipient should find it offensive or not.  This is totally regardless of what has gone on before or where the remark was made.  Anyone who manages staff in a large organisation will be well aware of the issues and pitfalls surrounding "inclusive management".

Now I'm not sure of the laws surrounding open forums; however I'd lay money that a forum owner is on very dodgy ground if a post that is pointed out as offensive is not removed on asking - regardless of whether it's in a football forum or not.

Please don't get me wrong, I've not been personally offended in any way and I'm not having any fun with this; I'm just trying to point out something that I think is important and wrong.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf