Author Topic: The promenade on the promenade  (Read 4499 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
The promenade on the promenade
« on: July 26, 2007, 10:21:30 AM »
On our recent visit to Calis we were much disappointed by the quality of walking on the prom. There was far too much trudging, slouching, plodding, traipsing, lumbering and general shoddiness of perambulation. I suppose this is OK during daytime or in other roads in Calis, but not on an evening on the front. A promenade (noun) is a structure purpose-built for people to promenade (verb). I speak as a man who taught both his (then teenage) daughters the art of promenading at Calis in the days before the characterless block paving was laid.

To promenade is to walk as a couple with arms lightly linked, aware of each other but not engrossed, taking in the sights around you but not staring at any in particular, with eyes focused on the indefinite middle-distance. This produces magical effects. Hasslers no longer hassle; instead they smile and wave. The crowds part to let you through. You feel good.

Promenading does not require athletic ability. Hilary for example, says that I dance "like a plank" - she is very supportive of me in this way, like a joist - but accepts that I am capable of promenading. I have seen some very classy wheelchair and walking stick promenading. What it requires is style; an understanding that walking the prom is about seeing and being seen. It doesn't really matter what mode of promenading is adopted - strolling, sauntering, ambling, striding, stepping, waltzing, whatever - what is important is that the walking is invested with attention.  

So I call upon CBFers, residents and holiday-makers, to make a proud effort for the rest of the summer to improve the promenade on the promenade.

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 10:36:25 AM »
There is really no excuse for not getting it right as one can allow the eyes to wander over the horizen of the beautiful Fethiye bay in a serene manner.
You tell them Colwyn.:D

Offline cef

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 10:40:48 AM »
LOL You are Soooooo Right Colwyn :D :)

I had a very good tutor in the 'Art of Promenading' in Italy... Many years agoooooo, ahh that's such a good memory  :) ;)

I'll have fun next time over, observing 'how' much competition there is  :):D ;)

Offline sannyrut

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 13:34:52 PM »
Good idea Colwyn if you holiday with your wife.If you go out for a quick holiday alone[?][?]

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 15:14:02 PM »
hubby and i are expert promenaders we had plenty of practice on New Brighton prom
we enjoy our stroll along calis prom with me causally linking his harm aargh

Offline cef

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 15:21:47 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by sannyrut

Good idea Colwyn if you holiday with your wife.If you go out for a quick holiday alone[?][?]

That's when you get the chance to be 'Mysterious, Enigmatic & very Interesting'  ;)

Might only be a fantasy which disappears in a flash, but can be great fun too  :-\ :):D 8) ;)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 15:23:22 PM by cef »

Offline Kazzyber

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 15:25:13 PM »
No disrespect but it is like you are saying that those of us with young children cannot walk along the promenade in the evening as there is no way I could walk in such a manner (albeit it would be nice) with 2 young children in tow.  Surely however you walk along as long as you are enjoying the time together what else is to be said.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 15:50:28 PM »
I think Colwyn has his tongue firmly in his cheek, Kazzyber.

Offline cef

• Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 16:20:43 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by stoop

I think Colwyn has his tongue firmly in his cheek, Kazzyber.

:) Just as long as he keeps it firmly, in his cheek :D ;)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 16:21:16 PM by cef »

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 16:25:45 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Kazzyber

No disrespect but it is like you are saying that those of us with young children cannot walk along the promenade in the evening as there is no way I could walk in such a manner (albeit it would be nice) with 2 young children in tow.  Surely however you walk along as long as you are enjoying the time together what else is to be said.

I am sure if you link up and look indulgently at your children you could get off with it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf