Author Topic: Exterior painting  (Read 11627 times)

Offline jackstee

Re: Exterior painting
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2013, 15:22:03 PM »

Almost finished today. Still one coat to go on the wall to the right. Its not my wall but overlooks our garden. Very poor condition and will need 4 coats. So far 110 tl for paint, 10 for roller and brush and about 4.5 days work.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2013, 09:00:11 AM »
You've missed a bit by the window. !!     :)  :)

Offline ArtyMar

• Make Art not War
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2013, 21:42:23 PM »
Our villa was 'completed' at end of 2011 and only now we are finally in the process of getting our Tapu. In the space of this time, many parts of the exterior walls and especially the pillars at their bases are peeling. Could be that the external surfaces did not dry out sufficiently before the paint was put on. There is a 5 year building warranty. I think that much of the surface should be scraped off and then repainted with decent quality external paint with enough coats so that there is no more peeling for several years. The colour is yellow and I have been told that it is important NOT to use an acrylic based paint. Shouldn't the builder fix this within the warranty? What is the name of exterior paint that will withstand peeling in sun, rain and salt air?
Advice please!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2013, 22:01:26 PM »
Acrylic paints are very popular and effective external coatings - like Dulux weathershield for example.

Where they tend to do badly is in areas where damp and moisture need a path to freedom from the wall (often termed as "breathable" coatings). Acrylics generally do not allow this very much at all. A paint that actively prevents the dispersion of substrate moisture will generally result in it's failure. And yes, I did watch paint dry for a living once   :)

As to whether your builder should repaint, that depends entirely on what is guaranteed, and on who your builder is. Some will come back and some will not even if your house collapsed within the guarantee period.

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2013, 23:16:31 PM »
We have a few patches that the paint peels off the walls and when you scrape it off there is like a white fur underneath. I believe it is just damp coming up but I have repainted it every year for the last 8 years and will probably paint it next year also. It will not clear but it is strange that it is like small patches randomly near the bottom of a few walls.

Offline ArtyMar

• Make Art not War
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2013, 19:22:59 PM »
Exact symptoms of ours. I have asked our builder to remedy. Haven't yet had a reply. Fingers crossed that they will agree, as it seems ridiculous to have to paint every year - with resulting patchy appearance, trouble not to mention expense!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2013, 20:19:49 PM »
Do you mean remedy as in come and paint, or remedy as in come and solve..?

Offline ArtyMar

• Make Art not War
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2013, 21:37:57 PM »
I mean, come - scrape off and repaint with enough coats so that it lasts for at least 5 years. Problem is, there are patches peeling all over the place - on every wall, high and especially low. Seems to me that they need to start again and do it properly!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2013, 21:54:19 PM »
Problem is, there are patches peeling all over the place

No the problem is you have a damp issue - painting the outside with 5x more coats would probably make the paint failure more spectacular, and happen faster.

Offline ArtyMar

• Make Art not War
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2013, 23:00:09 PM »
Do you think the damp issue is because the walls were not given sufficient time to dry out thoroughly before paint was applied? In other words, if the peeling parts are scraped off - left for a few weeks so that they could dry, then painted with non acrylic paint ('breathable' paint as you mention) - would that fix the problem? There does not seem to be damp on the inside, just the exterior walls and pillars.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf