Author Topic: Exterior painting  (Read 11620 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Exterior painting
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2013, 23:45:38 PM »
I don't know what caused it in a specific case that I didn't see being built. But the biggest problem in general terms in the area is a total lack of waterproofing, damp coursing and building on fairly damp land.

A problem of yesteryear (but not entirely lost into history) is the use of sea dredged aggregates in concrete - fabulously attractive to builders in coastal areas throughout the World because they are plentiful, local and cheap. Sadly they are also full of salts which tend to want to leave home after a short time living in the wall.

But to clarify absolutely, I have no idea who your builder is or how they build.

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2013, 01:02:47 AM »
I think ours is riding damp.
We have patches that are in the same place each year.
Not big and not a major issue other than the fact that the paint fades quickly so when you re paint with original paint it is quite obvious.

Offline quackers

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2013, 05:14:17 AM »
If you saw all the water that they contınually draıned off the land your vılla ıs buılt on Arty you would realıse about the rısıng damp. One thıng not to do ıs put slate decoratıon around the outsıde ıt makes the damp rıse even hıgher and come ınsıde. We have the same ınsıde problem places every 2 years where the plaster blows and has to be retreated . Its part and parcel of beıng buılt on reclaımed swamp land. Our outsıde damp has been treated and where the raın water flowed and laıd around the vılla ın places ,we have had the ground level change so now ıt flows away. Problem solved.

Offline ArtyMar

• Make Art not War
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2013, 00:50:28 AM »
Oh dear. This is discouraging as I don't really know whether I should be pushing our builder to scrape off and let the walls dry out and then repaint with breathable paint. I don't know if its normal that paint should be peeling off after less than two years. We have rendered walls here in our house in UK and they keep their good condition for 10 years or more!

Offline Jim Fraser

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2013, 09:08:50 AM »
Arty - big difference is that UK builds usually have a decent damp proof course (DPC) - OK Turkish new built ones have as well but having seen where some of them are positioned then, dampness will still rise.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2013, 10:26:07 AM »
OK Turkish new built ones have

Still the majority don't.

You still have avoided telling us who the builder is, which would give us a chance to answer the questions regarding whether they are likely to come back and repaint. But 10 years experience of property over there tells me not a hope in hell.

Offline ArtyMar

• Make Art not War
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2013, 21:58:48 PM »
Scunner, the builders are DeskaGlobal, previously Infinity Express. I have just emailed them a series of pictures showing the extent of the peeling. I can see evidence of recent past 'patching up' darker yellow paint.

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2013, 22:18:12 PM »
UK or Turkey, scrape the peeling areas and paint  uni-bond, not sure of the Turkish name, I am quite heavy handed with the stuff and more layers than necessary, but not enough to make it like glass, when dry paint colour over the top.

I used this method to paint the concrete fence panels at the back of our villa, and it is only now after 9years that it is showing the need to be repainted.

Offline ArtyMar

• Make Art not War
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2013, 22:26:19 PM »
Ioz, thanks a million! I have emailed Engin of Fethiye Property Services, asking him to take a look and give an estimate. I'll pass on your message to him (and also to Deska).

Offline farry

« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2013, 10:40:26 AM »
UK or Turkey, scrape the peeling areas and paint  uni-bond, not sure of the Turkish name,

Does anyone know the Turkish name and where to buy it ?

Many thanks

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf