Author Topic: NOT Turkish words but mannerisums.  (Read 6958 times)

Offline xanadu

NOT Turkish words but mannerisums.
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2005, 11:12:06 AM »
Just say Cok yasa! (Bless you ).

Esra , our lovley assistant says that Turkey is changing ansd whilst some of the older traditions exist, you still need to be polite which ever country you are in.
If you sneeze, blow your nose discreetly and quietly.

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2005, 19:57:54 PM »
Be aware around the pool, always shower before you get in ( children as well ) do not wear any footwear around the pool platform and don't go in wearing T shirts and finally, girls, if you share your pool area with Turkish neighbours, keep your top on !

Rimms

Offline gt

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2005, 20:40:36 PM »
Hi rimms,
         ok with the showering.
If the pool has a good non slip surface then ok if not then suitable footware,ie flip flops,should be worn.
Dont understand t shirt? Should we assume that we should get sunburnt?
graham

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2005, 20:44:06 PM »
The shoes off at the door is just pure clenliness,
Turkish people have outdoor shoes and indoor shoes,
The outdoor shoes stay outdoors,in most houses you will find racks of different size slippers inside for your use indoors,if not it's socks or bare feet!
Tinx

Offline teresa321

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2005, 21:17:18 PM »
The T shirt goes beyond the pool as well our daughter and son-in-law caused some offence (didn't realise or understand at the time). They took our granddaughter aged two into the hot spring at Dalyan and she had a t shirt on top of her swimsuit.

They asked us about it later on because an older gentleman was making signs and noises of disapproval and then got out.  Although other Turkish women there had no problem and were asking how old she was etc.

If they had known (and they do now) they could have removed her T shirt in that instance as they were only in for a relatively short time and could have shaded her.  Swimming is a different issue though.

The shoe system is great and we try very hard to adopt it as it makes perfectly good sense.

Teresa
« Last Edit: June 16, 2005, 21:19:55 PM by teresa321 »

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2005, 23:21:15 PM »
I can only speak about the rules around our communal pool which we share with mostly our Turkish neighbours; they treat shoes around the pool platform in exactly the same manner as wearing shoes to enter their homes, the non slip argument is not even a consideration, by the way, the skin on the underside of your feet has superior anti slip properties than flip flops. The T-shirt argument is a bit more complicated, firstly our Turkish residents consider that clothes will dirty the pool, I have heard stories about Turkish Ladies who have felt the need to swim in more than a costume, they wash the swim clotting in running water before putting it on to enter the pool.
The other factor is that any material holds traces of enzymes from the soap powder they were washed in, these enzymes neutralise the expensive pool chemicals which sometimes leads to a complete water change being required. To do this is mega expensive.

Rimms

Offline gt

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2005, 13:25:29 PM »
Hi rimms
          thanks for the comments :),very interesting.If this is the case then i think that there should be notices explaning the rules of the pool posted around the pools.
On  a complex a list of rules could be printed and left in each of the villas/apartments.
i wiil  be contacting my builder of my findings and asking them to print such a notice and put one in each of the villas/apartments on the site.
Once again a simple post can be sorted by the many! :) :)
graham/joanne
« Last Edit: June 18, 2005, 13:26:37 PM by gt »

Offline Tonya

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2005, 08:18:51 AM »
I can appreciate what you say about the pool chemicals, it just seems strange that no-one ever comments on that aspect in Spain or elsewhere.

Offline glennat

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2005, 10:11:57 AM »
This may be completely wrong, but I heard that holding your left-hand in a fist (thumb upwards) and slamming your right-hand down onto it, means something very rude.
Incidentally, it means exactly the same thing in sign-language.

Glen

Offline caz1230_1

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2008, 20:30:53 PM »
We have just returned from Hisaronu,one night we were walking home and there was a young couple the girl had a lovely wedding dress on so presumed that they had just got married, but not sure why they were wondering around Hisaronu, as we walked past we smiled, the man standing with them shouted something like ( well don't clap then) is there a custom that when you meet a newly married couple that you should clap, anybody got any idea

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf