Author Topic: Estate agents fees  (Read 9441 times)

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
Estate agents fees
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2010, 19:46:06 PM »
I have given up on this one, got emails now from "anon" agents with conflicting info.

After all those years in Turkey I am still amazed (or shouldn't be) in not getting the same answers.

I will pass all this info on and tell friends if they want to buy sort it themselves.

Offline Harmless

Estate agents fees
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2010, 07:34:53 AM »
Scanned this thread and have a simple answer really.
In Turkey the general rule with regard to Estate Agents is 3% from the vendor 3% from the buyer.  This is standard, this is not something that is practised in this area only it applies to Turkish buyers too.
With regard to private sales, if you have been introduced to a property via an agent, you are expected to pay a fee, if you see a property in an advert directly from the vendor, make an appointment direct with the vendor, then no fee is applicable.
Also, having worked in the UK for many years within Estate Agency, we used to charge 2% sole agency and 3% multi agency.  I know that nowadays there is more leeway in the agency fees, but, as a general rule the property prices in the UK are much higher than here.  

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
Estate agents fees
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2010, 08:51:11 AM »
Stern you Keith never. Some of know a very different side to you. mind you I am a "moron"!! xx

Offline rpg9000

Estate agents fees
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2010, 11:27:32 AM »
quote:
...........but, as a general rule the property prices in the UK are much higher than here.

You were doing really well up to this point Harmless, but that statement is a complete red herring; property prices are higher in the UK, but so is the rest of the cost of living.

loz - I sympathise as you're only trying to help a friend. It is an alien system in Turkey, and I prefer the UK system of agent + solicitor + surveyor each acting in their own area of expertise with no conflicts of interest. However, that's the way it is, and if you want to buy property in Turkey you either do it their way or you take your chances.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 11:54:46 AM by rpg9000 »

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Estate agents fees
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2010, 11:45:04 AM »
Highlander[?]

Offline rpg9000

Estate agents fees
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2010, 11:55:46 AM »
Sorry - brain fade.

Offline Harmless

Estate agents fees
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2010, 13:20:05 PM »
When UK property prices were rapidly rising, the agents were more inclined to work for less than the more standard 2 or 3%, mainly because the market at these times is generally more competitive and they would have really needed new properties to offer.  

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Estate agents fees
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2010, 15:47:52 PM »
It's just the way it has always been - just as in Spain where it's accepted that you pay part of your money for the property in cash as a backhander to avoid tax. Some get away with it and some don't.

As you say - the options are either pay it or take your chance and buy direct.

I know what I would do.

Offline rpg9000

Estate agents fees
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2010, 16:14:51 PM »
quote:
I know what I would do.

.....and so do I, but I'm not telling, so there!

Offline umpy

Estate agents fees
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2010, 17:49:32 PM »
I am with scunner, if you get a good agent in Turkey you are onto a winner, and Scunner I am sure was one of them.  But we are here to earn money, so expect to pay for our expertise. If you buy from an international agent such as Ocean estates Mcanthony, you will pay at least 10% over the market price, cos thats the minimum commission these companies charge, If you find a good local person, you will get charged, but they will be there for you and sort your sale out ASAP

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf