Author Topic: Watch repairs in Fethiye  (Read 3281 times)

Offline bunny4jeff

Watch repairs in Fethiye
« on: July 05, 2011, 19:35:06 PM »
Very disappointed in Infinity Jewellers. I have an expensive watch, which needed the timing adjusted as it is running slow. Infinity assured me they could adjust it, sending the watch to Istanbul to their "watchmakers". It would be away for 10 to 12 days, fair enough, I thought, as they would need to test the movement (automatic) over a few days to get it right. The watch did not come back until 18 days; they must have quoted me "Turkish time"...oh well, if it is fixed and working...I told myself, ignoring the doubts gnawing away. I was charged 120 liras. The watch is not fixed, in fact it is losing time even more than before. I doubt it had even been looked at! : :)Off to Infinity tomorrow, furious and annoyed. Its not as if they didn't have enough time to test it, 18 days in fact. If I can't get anywhere with them - I will give them a second chance because I love the watch and want it working, and I've paid out 120 liras. They can deliver it to my door when it is fixed! And not before.
In case I am still going up a blind alley with Infinity, can anyone recommend a trustworthy watch repairer of high class watches with an automatic movement? Preferably in the Fethiye area so I can keep an eye on proceedings! The company would need to have auto movement testing equipment.
Many thanks!

Offline Steve A

Watch repairs in Fethiye
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 19:54:30 PM »
What type of watch is it,all they need is a case remover,precision screwdrivers,knowledge of the movement and a precision digital stopwatch.Most movements only have one screw to turn clockwise to speed it up ,anticlock wise to slow it down.Is actually very easy to do the hardest part is how far to turn because once turned clockwise in your case they have to time it against the didgital timer to set accuracy.Any decent watch repairer should be able to do this.

Offline bunny4jeff

Watch repairs in Fethiye
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 20:08:57 PM »
Thanks for your reply Steve. It is a Rolex Tudor.
I can't understand why a company like the one I went to, could not do it properly....to me its unbelievable...
quote:
Originally posted by Steve A

What type of watch is it,all they need is a case remover,precision screwdrivers,knowledge of the movement and a precision digital stopwatch.Most movements only have one screw to turn clockwise to speed it up ,anticlock wise to slow it down.Is actually very easy to do the hardest part is how far to turn because once turned clockwise in your case they have to time it against the didgital timer to set accuracy.Any decent watch repairer should be able to do this.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Watch repairs in Fethiye
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 09:37:42 AM »
They sent my Tag auto to Tag Heuer in Istanbul a few years back with the promise it would be back within two weeks - it wasn't. Then they promised speedy and free delivery to my home in the UK but when I got it I was charged £30 import duty.

To be fair the watch did come back in pristine condition and after a bit of haggling I got my £30 back (sent in cash with a friend). Would I use them again? Probably not as it's as cheap to get it done in the UK now. Tag prices are extortionate but there are so many 'watch doctor' type repairers in the UK now that I found one to do a full service and pressure test for £120. I paid £90 with Infinity about 5 years ago so I guess it will have gone up now.

Offline bunny4jeff

Watch repairs in Fethiye
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 12:31:31 PM »
Thanks, Stoop, I have decided not to go back to Infinity, I just don't trust them. They seemed far more interested in trying to sell me another watch than in repairing mine anyway - they kept bringing new ones - they don't have any genuine Rolex!! - and suggesting I buy another watch - unbelievable...
quote:
Originally posted by stoop

They sent my Tag auto to Tag Heuer in Istanbul a few years back with the promise it would be back within two weeks - it wasn't. Then they promised speedy and free delivery to my home in the UK but when I got it I was charged £30 import duty.

To be fair the watch did come back in pristine condition and after a bit of haggling I got my £30 back (sent in cash with a friend). Would I use them again? Probably not as it's as cheap to get it done in the UK now. Tag prices are extortionate but there are so many 'watch doctor' type repairers in the UK now that I found one to do a full service and pressure test for £120. I paid £90 with Infinity about 5 years ago so I guess it will have gone up now.

Offline Eric

Watch repairs in Fethiye
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 13:40:48 PM »
I sent my Tag back to the UK with a friend for a battery change.  I did not trust any of the jewellers here to either do a good job or get my genuine Tag back without it being swapped for a fake.  My friend explained to the company back in the UK that it was a friends watch who lived in Turkey and did not trust anyone here to do it.  They agreed wholeheartedly that I did the right thing.  5 year warranty on the battery change and pressure test there, what would you get here?

Offline bunny4jeff

Watch repairs in Fethiye
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 14:22:55 PM »
I am sure you did the right thing! I would rather lose the 120 lira than risk it coming back incorrectly "fixed", or swapped...I'll put it down to experience! I could lose a lot more than 120 liras if the watch went "missing"...
quote:
Originally posted by Eric

I sent my Tag back to the UK with a friend for a battery change.  I did not trust any of the jewellers here to either do a good job or get my genuine Tag back without it being swapped for a fake.  My friend explained to the company back in the UK that it was a friends watch who lived in Turkey and did not trust anyone here to do it.  They agreed wholeheartedly that I did the right thing.  5 year warranty on the battery change and pressure test there, what would you get here?

Offline Elsa Padfield

• Minehead, UK
Watch repairs in Fethiye
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 14:36:42 PM »
My husband has a Rolex (a 'proper' one, not genuine fake) and he has a friend who's a watch dealer.  He sends it to Rolex for service/adjustments in the UK.  It's not too much, I think around £100 for a service, BUT you do know you're getting 'your' watch back, you know it'll be properly serviced and repaired and guaranteed.  Peace of mind is a great thing.  If you need any info email me.

Offline dycedon

Watch repairs in Fethiye
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 14:41:07 PM »
On the subject of rolexs, can anyone tell me how often a rolex watch should be serviced.

Offline bunny4jeff

Watch repairs in Fethiye
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 15:02:05 PM »
I have just had a look online at a few forums on Rolexes, and it seems that Rolex recommend a full service every 5 to 7 years.
Unless of course, something goes wrong before then.
quote:
Originally posted by dycedon

On the subject of rolexs, can anyone tell me how often a rolex watch should be serviced.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf