Author Topic: Ex-Pat advice re coping with the weather  (Read 4584 times)

Offline Jenny Daly

Ex-Pat advice re coping with the weather
« on: August 07, 2011, 10:17:06 AM »
Hi everyone - need some advice. My husband and I come out to Calis in Feb for a years trial.  I am getting very negative comments from friends etc back in the Uk about how I will cope with the hot weather and living with it full time!! I love the heat but I dont want to get frazzled out there - I am blonde and fair skinned so I have to be careful! do you wear suntan lotion everyday? or generally cover your shoulders etc...? when we go over for a holiday I always wear a hat and I dont spend all day sunbathing so I wont be doing that when I live over there. Do u just aclimatise to it or do any of you really struggle with it - need some confidence building from you, I love Turkey and want to enjoy our time there but negative comments from friends are't helping me. Any tips re weather would help. thanks

Offline Linda

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 13:25:12 PM »
When you live out here you do treat the sun differently than maybe you would on a 2 week holiday. You don't need to sit in it as it is there everyday ... in the summer. I get my tan early season and maintain it just from being out and about in the sun, gardening and walking etc. I never sit in the sun in high season or at peak times of day. You do acclimatise to a degree but truth be told there are about 6 weeks when it is too hot for everyone!
I do use suncream but mainly just on my face on a daily basis unless I'm going to be more exposed for whatever reason .... a visit to the beach or walking the dog etc.
I use fans as opposed to air con in the main rooms and in the bedroom at night. I have mozzie screens on my windows and doors, which I leave open when I am at home, which creates a breeze throughout the house ....
Obvious things like avoiding alcohol in any quantity during the day and drinking lots and lots of water on a regular basis. Doing housework and gardening very early or late in the day all help with the summer lifestyle .....
I'm sure you will be fine, lots of people like to scare monger and no-one believed that I would settle out here as easily as I did!  8)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 16:22:32 PM by Linda »

Offline hillside

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 14:50:09 PM »
Linda gives sound advise. I know my friends who live there struggle in the height of the season, but its only for a few weeks, compared to getting cold and wet for months on end in an English winter!

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 16:34:13 PM »
There was a thread relating to this a week or two ago.
You may find it helpful too Jenny

{A Link to an old CBF topic was here - no longer available}42536

Offline kizkucuk

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 16:36:26 PM »
It is hot at this time of year.  I do feel that I have become more acclimatised.  I use suncream on my face everyday winter and summer - in the summer I apply a F50 to my arms and the bits that stick out first thing in the morning.  I don't reapply unless I am sitting in the sun so at the beach or on a boat trip. I used to wear a hat everyday on holiday but rarely bother now I live here.  A cool shower before bed helps.   For me the benefits of living here full time far outway the discomfort from 6 weeks or so really hot weather :-)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 17:07:22 PM »
I agree with Linda - you behave very differently with the sun than you do when over on holiday. How you manage through the scorching high summer period is like asking how you afford to bring up children - the answer is "you just do"! I didn't sit in the July/August sun through choice once in five years that I can recall, and you do tend to give your holidaying friends the seats at the restaurant in the sun while you gladly take the two in the shade.

You also have to take things in context. July and August are too hot for everyone, even the Turkish people, but you will have shade, aircon, pools and BBQs to compensate. Just remember in those hot times that the months immediately before and immediately after are wonderful. Spring is amazing with it's warm days and cooler nights and the lowering of the temperatures in September/October make the summer heat almost forgivable  :) Even winter, when it can get hellish cold, especially overnight, can be superb - and two days of constant thunder and rain (and boy does it rain), you can wake up the next morning to perfect blue skies and sunshine, all the rain dried up and gone while you were asleep  :)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 17:09:28 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by kizkucuk

and the bits that stick out first thing in the morning

Yeah that happens to me too  8)

Offline janmack

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 22:04:11 PM »
Totally agree with Linda and Keith.  

I don't think you ever get used to the heat, but you do learn how best to cope with it.  

Just be sensible and don't work too hard ;)

Offline Julesp

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 22:08:11 PM »
im on my 7th Summer here now and while yes it is hot, as said in previous posts you learn how to cope with the heat. One thing I have found is that while airconditioning is fantastic when you have, it is much better trying not to use as the blast of hot air when you go from an airconditioned room to the outdoor heat makes it feel much more unbearable when you go out. I have a fan in my bedroom, 1 in living room and 1 on my terrace where I sit in the shade
Do any housework at night or early morning or not at all, dont feel guilty if you feel like sleeeping in the day, when I am able I spend many an afternoon lazing on my bed with the fan at full blast, I also if I intend to cook an evening mea, prepare everything while its cooler and try to make things that can be eaten cold, warmed up quickly, or one pot stuff that I can bung in the oven for a couple of hours and doesnt need standing over, also lots of BBQs

Offline Julesp

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 22:10:53 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Scunner

quote:
Originally posted by kizkucuk

and the bits that stick out first thing in the morning

Yeah that happens to me too  8)

:-\:D :-\

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo