Author Topic: Organic veg and fruit  (Read 3516 times)

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
Organic veg and fruit
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 09:02:39 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by peecee

Considering all the bugs, insects and flying creatures (such as locusts and crickets) it would be impossible to grow things organically in Turkey :)  If I didn't spray every 3/4 weeks they certainly beat me to the garden produce

That's what I was thinking.  -Our Turkish neighbors are always spraying their crops.  We don't tend to, so our trees have distorted leaves (note to self:  Find out what chemical to get). [:(!]

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Organic veg and fruit
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 10:15:30 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by kizkucuk

Des it depends where you have the washing machine - if it's in the same area as you prepare food I would think it would significantly reduce your life span days or weeks even  - but yes - washing up liquid is evil and dangerous - in our house if I don't make sure it's all rinsed off before it goes in the rack it gets rewashed and if things are left to drain they get re rinsed just in case there is a trace of washing up liquid on it :-)

To live longer without the fear of the evil washing up liquid, get a dishwasher, also kinder to the hands:D ;)

Offline desmartinson

• Banned
Organic veg and fruit
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2011, 10:36:04 AM »
Thanks Jacqui. ive got  a dishwasher, but she,s not to happy with me at the moment now ive thrown her fairy liquid away. ;):D

Offline kraken

Organic veg and fruit
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 10:21:06 AM »
Thank you for all your answers.

Many people think that Turkey is the kind of country where chemicals are not used in agriculture because they are too expensive. It's just the opposite. The big chemicals companies have lowered their prices for these countries and made farmers dependend to their products. It is possible to grow vegetables and fruit without using chemicals even in Turkey(how did they do before chemicals existed), but it is more expensive and more time consuming, so more expensive.

The EU has asked Turkey to reduce the number of chemicals they use in agriculture from 130 to 75. But Turkey can still not export all agricutural products to EU, that is why they export a lot to Russia.

When you eat a tomato in February it is a chemical product that has not grown in earth and when you eat strawberries in March, they have been sprayed whith a chemical to be nice red.

Turkey has a number of cancer above average and when you walk in Fethiye you see people with skin deseases.

Many Turks have realised that there is a problem. You can now find three organic markets in Istanbul and they are going to open a fourth one and you can buy more and more organic products in super markets.

In Fethiye there was a nice little organic shop near the cinema but it has closed. If everybody asked for organic products they will be sold.

Offline jackstee

Organic veg and fruit
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2011, 19:11:52 PM »
Hi Rindaloo
Take some of the distorted leaves to the little garden shop on the outside of the full time market in Fethiye.

Mine was caused by ants setting up and then milking the aphids.

Lime on the tree trunks help stop the ants and I think the spray does for the aphids.

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
Organic veg and fruit
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2011, 19:51:31 PM »
Thanks Steve, I didnt realise the lime was for ants, I was told snakes.  Can't say I can see any aphids, but I will do what you said, good idea.  Need to know,

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf