Author Topic: Skype on your mobile, anyone got it?  (Read 3818 times)

Offline Supacabby

• Sunny Brighton
  • Location: Sunny Eastbourne by the sea aka Gods waiting room :)
  • Calis Beach - next best place to heaven...
Skype on your mobile, anyone got it?
« on: August 25, 2011, 13:32:57 PM »
I have Skype on my Nokia C7 but it doesn't work particularly well, have looked at the Skype help forum & it seems to be "the norm" amongst a lot of Symbian platform phones.

My questions:

Do you have Skype?

Does it work well?

If so what phone are you using?

I'm reluctant to go & buy a new iPhone (or Android platform handset) before coming out to Calis in case it suffers the same problem, seems that Skype don't quite have the mobile market sorted yet which would be a shame.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 13:41:26 PM »
I do, on iphone and I also have most of the others - Nimbuzz, Fring, Foocall etc and can say easily Skype is the best for call quality. That's following extensive testing in a number of countries including Turkey of course. One thing I would say is that they all need a damn good wifi signal as call quality quickly falls away as signal weakens - I tend to ask/work out where the router is and go and sit on it  ;)

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 15:56:22 PM »
I have it on my HTC wildfire, as Keith says it depends a liot on your wifi speed. Ours in calis is very slow in the evenings and Skype is better then on laptop than on the phone. I think its a work in progress as seem to get lots of updates for Skype on my phone, so assume it will get better.

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 18:29:05 PM »
Son has it on his Android phone.  He called me one day (hands free) in some excitement, saying he couldn't believe he was driving his car while having a conversation with his Mum in Turkey (hands free) for FREE!!  Oh yes, he loves it and regularly calls during his lunch break.  Fab.

Offline Supacabby

• Sunny Brighton
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 19:40:24 PM »
Just treated myself to the new Samsung Galaxy S2. First time I've looked at anything other than Nokia since the old "brick" days, have to say it's a very clever bit of kit. 1.2mghz dual core processor is lightning fast & the best news of all, Skype works perfectly, even with video call & I've used it with the signal strength right down to 1/5 & still didn't drop out.

Will update this topic if I come across any problems (or when I can work out how to use the rest of the phone!).

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 11:11:55 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Rindaloo

Son has it on his Android phone.  He called me one day (hands free) in some excitement, saying he couldn't believe he was driving his car while having a conversation with his Mum in Turkey (hands free) for FREE!!  Oh yes, he loves it and regularly calls during his lunch break.  Fab.

I guess he was using his web allowance if the call was 'free'. It's really only truly free if you get a wifi connection. If you run out of web allowance then you will be charged for accessing the web on your phone.

Don't get me wrong - I love Skype. We used to call our son in Thailand every weekend - on his mobile as well and it only cost a few pence. Now we use facetime which is just awesome.

Offline Supacabby

• Sunny Brighton
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 16:34:34 PM »
Only problem with facetime is you need an Apple platform phone!

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 17:06:37 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Supacabby

Only problem with facetime is you need an Apple platform phone!

Slight problem I agree - but if you have iphone 4 it's brilliant.

Offline Supacabby

• Sunny Brighton
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 21:08:37 PM »
I did my research & opted for the Galaxy over the iphone4, £150 cheaper was the main attraction amongst a few others although it was a close run thing in the end.

Am also going to load Viber which has some very good write ups, good job I'm not working know, been reading all day lol.

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 18:06:42 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Supacabby

Just treated myself to the new Samsung Galaxy S2. First time I've looked at anything other than Nokia since the old "brick" days, have to say it's a very clever bit of kit. 1.2mghz dual core processor is lightning fast & the best news of all, Skype works perfectly, even with video call & I've used it with the signal strength right down to 1/5 & still didn't drop out.

Will update this topic if I come across any problems (or when I can work out how to use the rest of the phone!).

You made the right choice, had my Galaxy sii for about a month or so. This really is the IPhone Killer phone, which is why I believe Apple are legally attacking Samsung at every opportunity and in every product range, as they are worried that Samsung has not just caught them up, but is starting to move out in front.  And Skype works OK out here in Turkey using both 3G and Wi-Fi Connection.:D
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 18:08:03 PM by usedbustickets »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf