Author Topic: Beware  (Read 4084 times)

Offline kizkucuk

Beware
« on: September 09, 2011, 19:40:18 PM »
I have heard yet another tale today of local builders/decorators over charging English customers.   Please, please be careful who you use to carry out work in your homes.  Please don't compare quotes with UK prices instead shop around locally in lira.  

My husband has been threatened by another firm of builders today because he quoted 3000 lira less for a new kitchen than they had - the builders that were cross have done quite a lot of work in the last few weeks for the same couple and overcharged on everything including 4000 lira for curtains that should have cost less than a 1000 lira and believe me that's not the worst of it.  That's 6000 lira in someones back pocket!  

I wish there was a way to stop this happening - and some people will say the couple deserved it because they were prepared to pay the prices quoted.   I just wish all local businesses would understand that the British aren't a never ending supply of cash.  

Offline screamlead

Beware
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 20:18:17 PM »
Thats the way they are brought up into thinking we are all millionaires.
I was quoted 12k sterling for a new roof - because the idiot thought i would pay his rent for two years!
Problem being not enough Brits question the prices and just pay - rather than doing any research or looking at the excellent forums around here.
I dont mind a fair price for a fair job or what i consider a resonable price but i really do hate rip off merchants with a vengence.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Beware
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 20:23:27 PM »
I think people are often grateful to get someone who they can converse with and get them to understand what it is that needs doing. Getting three quotes means going through that three times which can be torture. But still, three quotes should ideally be sought. Some of the biggest ripoff merchants I have come across have surprisingly not been builders and tradesmen, they were property management companies - you know, the ones you pay to look after your property and interests? Once they've doubled the quote things do look a little expensive. Great wages for making a phone call.

Offline grahamturner09

Beware
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 21:02:38 PM »
Thankfully they are not all like that I recently had blackout curtains made and fitted in three rooms and tracks fitted in four rooms the guy came from gunlukbasi to fethiye to measure and then to fit and price all-in 200TL.

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
Beware
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 23:12:30 PM »
No matter how much hassle, it is so worth getting the 3+ quotes. Late last year we were getting quotes for painting the outside of the whole site, & all were to a specific spec including the paint maufacturer & colours to be used. One joker quoted a rate per square metre of painting to be done + cost of paint, other quotes ranged from 15.5k tl - 35k tl including paint nuff said. Suffice to say we have now have had the work done & everyone is happy, admittedly there were a few paint splashes left on balconies, but that's a very small price to pay considering the savings made elsewhere.

Offline corbindallas

Beware
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 14:52:06 PM »
Name and shame em, that way everyone will be aware of these so called cowboy's who think us Brits are loaded!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Beware
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 15:01:08 PM »
How about I set up a CBF 3 way quote system - we can get three companies to quote for all member's jobs and they can quote fully in the knowledge that their prices will be published on here. They get leads they may never have known of, members get fair and competitive prices, the entire membership can see companies giving good prices, everyone's a winner.

So which companies with nothing to hide want to be in?  :)

Offline jackstee

Beware
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 15:39:27 PM »
Only in Turkey Liz.

Our next door have just had there house painted/white washed.

Of course , white paint all over the grey concrete road.

Then they repainted the road grey to cover the white.

Priceless

Offline Sus

Beware
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 13:03:42 PM »
Kirkucuk I take it your husband has a company can you please tell me what is your husbands company name that he uses so we can contact you for any work we may require a quote on.

Offline hubblebubble

Beware
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 16:58:09 PM »
great idea Keith
I lost it with my builder when he tried to charge me £10000 for painting the inside and ceilings of my house (outside is stone)
And if you think Calis is bad -  Dalyan is even worse for Yabanci pricing.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf