Author Topic: Swapping ebooks  (Read 14937 times)

Offline SteveJ

Swapping ebooks
« on: October 31, 2011, 19:37:43 PM »
I've just responded to Kayakebab about the book that she was trying to find called "The Red Tent". I have an electronic copy of this book so I've just attached it to an email and sent it to her. All she will have to do is detach it from the email onto her PC hard drive and then she can use a free ebook manager such as Calibre to read it on the computer screen or transfer it to an ereader such as the Kindle.

From the responses to the recent thread about "which Kindle to buy" it would seem that there are quite a few Kindle owners on here so I was wondering how many realise that ebooks can be exchanged quite simply and quickly via email?

Connect your Kindle to the PC via a USB port and it will appear as an external drive. Compose an email to whoever you want to send the ebook to, attach the book from your Kindle to the email just as you would with any other type of file or docuement and then just send it off. All the recipient has to do is the same process in reverse and they will have a copy of your book on their PC or Kindle - simples  :)

I can heartily recommend a book called "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" by Robert Heinlein. If anyone would like an electronic copy then email me via my profile and I'll send you a copy by return email. Here's a summary so you can see if it would be to your literary taste.

It is a tale of revolution, of the rebellion of the former Lunar penal colony against the Lunar Authority that controls it from Earth. It is the tale of the disparate people--a computer technician, a vigorous young female agitator, and an elderly academic--who become the rebel movement's leaders. And it is the story of Mike, the supercomputer whose sentience is known only to this inner circle, and who for reasons of his own is committed to the revolution's ultimate success. "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" is one of the high points of modern science fiction, a novel bursting with politics, humanity, passion, innovative technical speculation, and a firm belief in the pursuit of human freedom.

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
Swapping ebooks
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 21:32:23 PM »
Steve thanks for the top tip on the e-books.  Wonder if there is any merit in setting up an e-book exchange here on the forum, I'll send a begging mail to Scunner, who is of course one of life's generous and all-round good blokes ;)

I'll decline this week's recommended read by your good self though, but if you get anything in the historical or thriller genres I'm yer man. :)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Swapping ebooks
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 21:35:14 PM »
Couldn't the e-book exchange just as easily be done by email between members.[?]

Just a thought :)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 21:39:07 PM by Highlander »

Offline SteveJ

Swapping ebooks
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 22:04:39 PM »
How would it work via email John? I don't know what type of book you might be interested in so there's no point in me emailing you to tell you that I've got a selection of Sci-Fi novels and you don't know what I've got available so there's no point in you emailing me to see if I've got Brigadoon. :D  

but I do have 955 ebooks indexed on a spreadsheet by title and author if anyone wants a copy. ;)

Offline SteveJ

Swapping ebooks
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 22:07:38 PM »
UBT - send me the names of some authors or book titles and I'll see if I can help you.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Swapping ebooks
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 22:13:37 PM »
How do you envisage it working on the Forum then Steve. Sorry, I may well be in thicko mood this evening.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 22:14:35 PM by Highlander »

Offline SteveJ

Swapping ebooks
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 23:52:22 PM »
In exactly the same way as when someone posts a recommendation / review of  a paper book in this section. The only difference with an ebook recommendation is that if someone then wants a copy of the ebook it can be sent to them via email.

Offline Jim Fraser

Swapping ebooks
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 00:03:13 AM »
great idea Steve J - I also have a few thousand "books" on DVD that will be available.

The hard bit will be finding out what people want - hope you can set something up.

Offline ribeye100

Swapping ebooks
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 08:13:49 AM »
Good idea Steve, 3 more in favour, Jackie,Bill & Myself  8)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Swapping ebooks
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 08:16:04 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by SteveJ

In exactly the same way as when someone posts a recommendation / review of  a paper book in this section. The only difference with an ebook recommendation is that if someone then wants a copy of the ebook it can be sent to them via email.

Thanks SteveJ - it was just that your reply to usedbusticket was how I imagined it would work. Could it be done in this section then.

Good luck with it anyway :)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 08:18:26 AM by Highlander »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf