Author Topic: put my mind at rest please..  (Read 10469 times)

Offline kerri

put my mind at rest please..
« on: November 01, 2011, 16:03:46 PM »
Hi everyone, well you guys have been so helpful, I am hoping you can give me a little reassurance, have been reading the 'I bought in Turkey and am happy I did' thread.

we have paid a deposit on an apartment in Ovacik, our solicitor in Fethiye has power of attorney, the military checks etc are underway and as per our contract we are due this week to send over £45k to the solicitor, the remaining £5k will be handed over on receipt of Tapu etc.

Is this the normal procedure? I am so so scared we will send over £45k and end up in 'take a break' magazine!
I know everyone has nerves and everything we have been told so far has been reliable and honest, at no point have we been pressurised over the purchase. We are buying through an agent 'spirit of Turkey' but we have our own solicitor.

any advice before we part with our cash?

also, what is the safest way to send money to the solicitor?

thanks

kerri

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 16:26:04 PM »
I think it's fair to say that everyone that has bought property in the past would sympathise with your concerns, but yes it's fairly normal. Just don't hand over the last 5k until you're happy that everything on your snagging list has been completed. The safest way to send that amount of cash is by bank transfer, so you'll need your solicitor's bank details including swift code, take those to your own bank in the UK & they'll produce a form for you to sign. Around 5 working days later, it will arrive here.

Enjoy your holiday home

Offline heatherhanum

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 19:05:27 PM »
Hi Kerri I fully understand your feelings Me and my hubby were really nervous when we bought our apartment 5 years ago. Everything went smoothly for us but at every stage we were really scared parting with such alot of money, but when everything goes to plan it's a great feeling to get your Tapu in your hand. Try to read about other members experiences, hints and tips. Be very careful and I hope your experience is a fabulous one for you and your family xxxx

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 19:09:28 PM »
If ANYONE, in ANY country, has any intention of doing a bunk with your cash, I don't think he/she will be too worried about"losing" the last £5K, do you ?? [:(!]
 I believe I would be inclined to transfer over the £5K, then hand over the £45k on completion. Just my opinion, of course !!

Offline elaina

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 19:16:37 PM »
Is the builder/agent reputable. Did the solicitor come with good recommendations. Just be very careful.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 19:32:39 PM »
It always amazes me how many times on here that the time to ask about reputations is long after making the appointments, signing the contracts and committing to buy. It's only money eh...

Offline grahamturner09

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 19:36:45 PM »
This is very scary I know having done it twice myself but I made more smaller payments not 45K in one go, Is the solicitor holding the money until the Tapu is ready ? I would be happier with that.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 19:37:06 PM by grahamturner09 »

Offline grahamturner09

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 19:39:05 PM »
Who is the builder[?]

Offline elaina

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 19:41:57 PM »
I learned my lesson the hard way  and it has cost me dearly.  I trust no one with my money now not even so called "friends" and I only wish I had researched before parting with my cash. Hindsight is a wondeful thing.  You can pick up some useful info on here and i only wish I had found this forum 8 years ago but alas I did not.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 19:45:45 PM »
Blimey she'll be scared to death reading all this  ;)

It's a huge amount to send and a tiny amount to hold back. How did you find your solicitor - recommended by happy previous customers is the correct answer here, not recommended by the estate agent. In all probability things will be fine but I guess you are the sort of person who would only check Tripadvisor for a restaurant's reviews after you get home from a bad meal?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf