Author Topic: 3G or 4G  (Read 2808 times)

Offline happy_flyer

3G or 4G
« on: May 06, 2012, 18:17:33 PM »
Hiya if was to buy an unlocked dongle in UK and bring it to Calis which would be the best to get , one that works on 3G or one that works on 4G or does it not matter.
Or the other way of looking at it do the Turkish sim cards work on both 3G and 4G networks in Calis?

You can tell i'm not a wiss kid at this and just want things to work when i get there.

Offline Steve (redding43)

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
3G or 4G
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 19:04:18 PM »
Can you buy a 4G dongle in the UK? 4G does not exist in the UK yet

Offline grahamturner09

3G or 4G
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 20:33:24 PM »
You can get a dongle in Turkey I think using a UK one would be more expensive and yes I don't think 4G is available in the UK.Vodafone do unlimited internet for 12TL a week
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 20:44:29 PM by grahamturner09 »

Offline happy_flyer

3G or 4G
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 21:01:33 PM »
Well yes you can buy them as i just did and i'm not buying it use here.Its UNLOCKED 21MBPS 4G and will take a turkish sim card apparently which i intend to buy once we are out there.
As for being more expensive it would be using maybe Vodafone or Turkcell, Whichever has the best deal for internet power.

Offline mibur

3G or 4G
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 23:09:25 PM »
just to let you know that "dongles" like mobile phones need to be registered in Turkey. If not you will be able to use for about one week until they block it. I know this from experience, I took a dongle over last year (in May) that was unlocked. went to the vodaphone shop and purchased a sim, no problem using it for the week I was there. On returning a few months later (having topped up the sim) went to go on line and got message saying unable to connect. I went back to vodaphone shop in Fethiye and they looked at the dongle settings and they told me that the dongle had been blocked because it was not registered in Turkey. I could have registered the dongle but it was too much hassle because I did not have my passsport with me at the time, so ended up buying a Turkish dongle and new sim. Lesson learned.

Offline happy_flyer

3G or 4G
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 21:14:47 PM »
So as long as i go armed with my unlocked dongle, passport, and money i should be up and running in a week.

Should be able to get the mobile phone side of things sorted at the same time. Hopefully.

Offline HappyMonday

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 07:50:03 AM »
There is only one area (Central London) currently trialling 4G at the moment. With speeds up to 100mbs.  Originally not planned to go wider until late 2013 but Everything Everywhere have put a case to Ofcom to roll out later this year.

Offline happy_flyer

3G or 4G
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 22:29:52 PM »
Have had a read up on the paperwork and turns out it works on both so should be fine thanks.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf