Author Topic: Turkish driving licence  (Read 7254 times)

Offline lissa

Turkish driving licence
« on: May 18, 2012, 20:07:58 PM »
Do you need a Turkish driving licence if resident in Turkey? Heard you do, as it can invalidate the insurance if you do not have.

Offline Firo

Turkish driving licence
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 08:13:46 AM »
The law is
If you are here on a tourist visa you can use your UK Driving Licence
If you are here for 6 months or more with a residence permit you must have a Notorised translation of your UK licence
If you are a resident here (as above) you can apply for a Turkish Licence but it is NOT a legal requirement.
If you have taken Turkish Nationality you must have a Turkish Licence.

The above is all in reference to cars.

If you wish to drive a scooter or motorbike then your UK licence must cover the engine cc that you are wanting to drive, if it doesn't then you must take a Turkish driving test to get the correct licence.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 08:16:51 AM by Firo »

Offline col

Turkish driving licence
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 09:45:08 AM »
My UK licence does not cover my little 50cc scooter. When I got it
a few years ago, I also applied for the Turkish licence to cover this with no problem, all done and dusted in less than a week.
Not sure if there has been any changes with the law since then.

quote:
Originally posted by lissa

Do you need a Turkish driving licence if resident in Turkey? Heard you do, as it can invalidate the insurance if you do not have.

Offline billabong

Turkish driving licence
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 07:23:30 AM »
how much does it cost for a turkish driving licence (car) please.

Offline Denise40

Turkish driving licence
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 14:16:32 PM »
About 600ylt

Offline starman™

Turkish driving licence
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 14:45:36 PM »
Firo is bang on.
Would just like to add that once you become a TC, then you have 12 months to change your license.

Offline joanwebb

Turkish driving licence
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 17:18:32 PM »
hello, can anyone please tell me where i need to go to apply for a Turkish driving licence and what documents i will need to bring? thank you, Joan

Offline Paul Brock

Turkish driving licence
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 14:30:34 PM »
It is quite a complex process and you need to go to about 6 different offices including, police for fingerprints, court for certificate for no criminal record, hospital to get report from 2 or 3 doctors depending on your age, tax office and traffic police. You also need a translated and notarised copy of your current licence. All this can be done in one day if you have a good run.

My wife (who is Turkish and so knows how the rules work) does offer a service to assist people and make things a little bit more painless. If this is of interest to you please contact me.

Offline Eric

Turkish driving licence
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 15:29:47 PM »
Joan, why do you want a Turkish driving licence?  Have you taken Turkish nationality?  Please read Fi's post above before you start shelling out money that you may not need to do.

Offline Diverbaz 1

Turkish driving licence
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 15:43:47 PM »
Don't need Turkish nationality to require a Turkish license, If you LIVE here in Turkey you need a valid driving license, unless of course YOU LIVE here and have a "pretend" address in the UK to renew your UK license. A lot of people do not have a LEGAL address in the UK and wish to have a legal license for both countries, hence obtaining a Turkish one.

Of course if you get caught not being a resident at the address you give in the UK it is £1000 fine and no license.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 15:46:06 PM by Diverbaz 1 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf