Author Topic: Wasps  (Read 3226 times)

Offline mel binks

« on: October 10, 2012, 08:36:46 AM »
Hi does anyone know of a local wasp eradicator (Yaniklar), there is a big nest on a wall but they are also entering the roof space via a vent grill, I want to ensure that the internal roof area is wasp free.
regards Mel

Offline SteveJ

Re: Wasps
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 13:07:43 PM »
Wasp nests are flamable. If you can get close enough then a box of matches is your best friend. First cover up the vent grill and then spray the nest with hair laqueur (or similar) to improve the flamability.  The wasps will leave the nest in a hurry when it starts to burn so probably best not to be too close and wearing shorts when you do this  :).

If it's the only nest then any wasps that survive will soon leave the area but they won't be in a good mood so give them plenty of space until they've gone. If after you uncover the grill the wasps continue to fly in and out then this would indicate a secondary nest inside.  They tend to build their nests close to the exit (vent) and you can eradicate a small nest in a roof void by spraying through the vent with a can of wasp killer that you can buy from the Yapi market. Spray the vent itself until a layer of poison builds up (usually as a white liquid) and this will stop any wasps from entering and those that are inside will die. Continue the process until no wasps appear  - job done.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 15:34:06 PM »
Wasp nests are flamable. If you can get close enough then a box of matches is your best friend. First cover up the vent grill and then spray the nest with hair laqueur (or similar) to improve the flamability.  The wasps will leave the nest in a hurry when it starts to burn ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Oh yeah, good idea. Remember though to book the Fire Brigade well in advance and set the camera up so you can at least claim your £250 for the video on People Do The Stupidest Things!

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 17:52:41 PM »
Turkish for wasp is "ARI", if you ask for "ARI" ihlac, you will be given the correct stuff to deal with the little buggars.

Offline SteveJ

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 12:47:45 PM »
Oh KKOB - wasp nests vary in size from a tennis ball up to a football but even a large one will burn through and go out in about  10 seconds. Spraying the nest first as I suggest will make it burn even quicker) which is far too quick for surrounding material to reach combustion temperatures unless of course his wall is highly flammable. I've burned many wasp nests in the past without a single problem or even a sting (I'm a fast runner) , the last one being in May in a shrub in the garden of my apartment so there's no real need for the fire brigade, a video camera or your ill informed comments.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 20:07:42 PM »
We get wasp nests on the side of our Villa.  First time we got one the Gardener said he would be back after dark to get rid of it.  Next day it was gone.  He explained that wasps do not fly in the dark, so he knocked the nest down and then sprayed it with insect killer.  We took his advise and now can get rid of any nest we get ourselves.

Offline Marggie

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 06:15:23 AM »
A very useful tip, thanks for sharing Jacqui  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf