Author Topic: Major Damp issued cured  (Read 14271 times)

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
Re: Major Damp issued cured
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 17:35:19 PM »
If it was 'major dump issue cured' I'd like to know how. Dumpers, including builders use the edge of the forrest opposite our villa to dump stuff - old carrier bags, plastic bottles, builders rubble - you name it.  I've seen car drivers hurl rubbish out of their windows when they spot a pile on the roadside. Really hoping that the new pavements being built will cure the problem.
Don't hold your breath Arty

Offline Harley

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 09:16:45 AM »
What exactly did they do?

Well we had the whole of our downstairs floor removed. They dug down 1 metre to remove all the soil about 42 ton. They then tanked it with a german product and refilled it with waterproof concrete. floors and walls were then sealed with a waterproof resin, new floor screed. Floor was then retiled and the walls replastered and a guarantee to cover it.  We have photos of each stage.   I said it was a major job. 

In the passed we have tried everything including injecting the walls and every year the damp has come back.  So you can imagine how pleased I was when we went back to find no signs of damp what so ever.

Why they fill the pads with soil amases me.....  We watched the new builds go up near us and although they used a a dampcourse they still filled the pad with what looked like soil.  No surprise after six months the properties are already showing a salt lines on the walls inside and out. 

Offline busybee

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 21:55:59 PM »
Gosh a major undertaking, bet it wasnt cheap...Am glad it has resolved the problem

Offline Harley

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 22:04:34 PM »
Not cheap but it was a lot less than we were expecting. If anyone wants to know feel free to contact me direct.

Offline savoyboy

• Chiswick, London, UK
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2013, 23:05:34 PM »
Can you let us know this time next year if damp camp.
   Good luck hope you have found the cure.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2013, 00:51:24 AM »
I'm hoping I am right with "if damp came"....

Offline Harley

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2013, 10:05:52 AM »
Will definitely keep you all updated.  One thing I would definitely say is don't bother with putting tash on the external wall.  It will only make the damp worse.

The one thing i have learned is a good tradesman is only as good as the materials he uses. Far too many use cheap products that don't last or isn't correct for the job I.E we had a balcony redone and instead of sealing it proper products they used cheap stuff so within a season we had water come through and the lot had to be re done. Paying out twice for the same job isn't what i call cheap. but this time we used Paul and have no problems since. Plus the job is now guaranteed.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 10:37:45 AM by Harley »

Offline amca

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2013, 14:04:21 PM »
Pardon my ignorance please but, in this context, what is 'tash'?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2013, 15:24:18 PM »
I assume it is taş - Turkish for stone.

Assuming this has just been done, the title "Major Damp issue cured" does sound a little premature :D

Offline Harley

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2013, 18:14:10 PM »
I assume it is taş - Turkish for stone.

Assuming this has just been done, the title "Major Damp issue cured" does sound a little premature :D

We had it done years ago when it was recommended to hide the damp.  Unfortunately it did the reverse. Although it looked ok it pushed the damp level above the stone work on the external wall and doubled the amount of damp inside the villa.

If you want to use the stone for cosmetic reasons it should be fine, but if you've got damp DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf