Author Topic: Another break in  (Read 10952 times)

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
Re: Another break in
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 23:40:32 PM »
Snowtop, YOU were out at that time of the night, half past twelve, so why shouldn't the Tofas driver have been out at that time also ??  ???

Offline snowtop

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 10:33:02 AM »
Quote (Snowtop, YOU were out at that time of the night, half past twelve, so why shouldn't the Tofas driver have been out at that time also ?????)

Read my post properly before replying please!!

Offline Sandrats

• Askam-in Furness, UK
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2013, 17:31:19 PM »
I find this so scary! Do iron grills on windows and doors protect you?

Short answer is no, but a big deterrent, bars can be cut/bent/wretched off, but that means more noise and hence more chance of attracting attention.  Think about it if given two properties one with grills, one without, which would you choose?  Equally alarm boxes, either real of false, gives no guarentee, to these people you are living in millioners row, and you will have so much stuff they can take its worth the chance.  Be sensible dont leave stuff out in view, put cameras, ipads etc under cushions, in cupboards, looking for items takes time and again increases the theives chances of getting caught.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2013, 17:50:41 PM »
I was told by a policeman friend that a burglar will access any house he wants to. However, given the choice of a house with an alarm outside, outside lights and bars on the windows, or one next door with no such refinements.  The burglar will take the easy option.   So, the more objects you put in the burglar's way the better your chances are of not being robbed.

Offline quackers

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2013, 06:07:18 AM »
I wonder where the safes are ın propertıes. I have seen some ın wardrobes and cupboards and not bolted down. They come wıth bolts so why don't they get bolted down to a concrete floor. I am also amazed at the ammount of technologıcal equıpment people brıng on holıdays. All members of the family seem to have kındles,Nıntendos , cameras, iphones ,MP4 ect ect.You see them at the restaurants ,on boats ect all tappıng away and no conversatıon. One waiter saıd ıt took hım ages to get a chıld to tell the parents what she wanted to eat as she was busy sendıng texts and would not read the menu till she had finished .Do they need all thıs technology to have a good holiday.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2013, 10:45:07 AM »
These things aren't new. On holiday it takes a waiter ages to get my order because we haven't stopped talking yet  :)

But yes, the amount of technology taken on holiday is huge, and nobody is more guilty of that than me. But that should be our choice - what is this, we are guilty of attracting the burglars now - it's not their fault?!

Offline Lotty

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2013, 12:32:49 PM »
Technology is a way of life now, Turkish people use it too, not just holiday makers. I take my iPad to keep in touch with family and a whole load of things, my hubby uses his laptop a lot, we are usually there for 6 weeks at a time and he works a few hours a day on it.  I have a kindle basic because it is light to hold (I have problems with my hands). If we didn't take them away, we could equally be burgled at home. For security sake, iPads and kindles are easy enough to take out with us.

Offline quackers

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2013, 13:19:55 PM »
I understand what you re sayıng Lotty ,you are here for 6 weeks. I also understand what you are sayıng Keith but ıt still seems like a lot of technology to take on a holiday. Its the ones that are here for 7days 10 days 14 days ect that amaze me. You can go to most bars and use theır computers to keep ın touch at home. We used to leave our computers phones ect wıth relatıves or neıghbours whıle we were away on holıday. A holiday to us was just that.  I must be gettıng old

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2013, 13:32:35 PM »
Not sure about 7 or 14 days - it would be impossible for me to have two days without checking emails etc. We noticed it more on holiday this year - at breakfast nearly everyone was on an ipad, smartphone or similar. But that was also because it was a huge complex and wifi was supplied in the main building - where the restaurant is.

I agree with you (quackers) to a degree though. I would love a week with no internet but that is not going to happen anytime soon. Why others who don't work for themselves feel the need to be online every ten minutes when on holiday is a little puzzling. Kids today (mine included) seem to want to share their every move with their friends. I don't see that as a bad thing, just a new thing.

Offline emekliyim

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2013, 14:30:17 PM »
If people are sharing their every move it is possible for those with evil intent to determine when they are well away from the property and he coast is clear.  However, I do think that is a little more sophisticated than the opportunist burglars.

We have a place surrounded by Turkish people rather than ex-pats and holiday makers.  I do feel this gives us some measure of additional security, and this was demonstrated to us last time we were thee and I dropped my keys outside.  I found them later that day pinned to the notice board downstairs....and no evidence of anyone having tried to get in.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf