Author Topic: Over 70 UK driving license  (Read 4782 times)

Offline DonM

• Newly Registered
Over 70 UK driving license
« on: August 10, 2013, 11:19:05 AM »
Has anybody had any experience of renewing an over 70 UK driving license from Turkey.
For those who don't know when you reach 70 you have to renew your license every 3 years there's no charge and you don't need a new photo on renewal.

In the past we have been in the UK when we have renewed but this time we will be in Turkey from October and the license is due for renewal on the 5th February.

I've not checked with DVAL yet.

Any info will be most welcome.

DonM

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Re: Over 70 UK driving license
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 12:52:07 PM »
I'd check with DVLA before checking with DVAL.  ;)

Offline George Warner

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 17:32:57 PM »
Strictly speaking unless you reside in the UK you will not be eligible to renew your licence .
When this happened to me I simply changed to a Turkish one,at the moment its for life
Oops just realised you may not be here full time, I think you can renew on line,don't you need a letter from your confirming your fitness to drive?

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 17:56:41 PM »
You can renew online but its like the passport renewal in that you fill out the details online then they send you the form to sign.
I've just helped my father in law do his.
You may be able to renew early?

Offline Marggie

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 18:24:17 PM »
I read recently that if you are out of the UK for 185 days (I think) you are not entitled to a UK driving licence.  As Bewva says, you can apply on line but a form is then sent out for signature.

Maybe someone will come along and clarify the situation for you but meantime I will do some searching to find the source of this information.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 18:28:42 PM »
I read recently that if you are out of the UK for 185 days (I think) you are not entitled to a UK driving licence. 

That only applies if you tell them.  ;) But, as you have to have a UK address to hold a UK Driving Licence, you wouldn't tell the DVLA, would you?

Offline Marggie

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 18:52:26 PM »
No KKOB, you probably wouldn't tell them. 

However, as although DonM  can apply online for a new licence, a form would be sent out for his signature - it looks to me as if he will have a real problem.  It maybe that a reminder is sent two months before the expiry of his licence (as it does when one reaches 70)  In which case he could apply online and when the form arrives for signature there would be plenty of time to get a relative to send it to Turkey by one of the secure services, sign it and return it to a member of his family or direct to the DVLA.

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 19:03:48 PM »
I obtained a new (under 70) license, after losing it, by going on line, didn't need to sign anything or supply a photo even, as they used my passport information... very smart indeed.  Now that's what I call joined up government.

Offline DonM

• Newly Registered
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2013, 19:13:13 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.

One can renew 3 months in advance but we fall just outside that limit by about 2 weeks. :(

You don't need a medical unless you are renewing and want to keep your C1 cat. I just sign I'm fit to drive vehicles up to 3500kgs on cats. B B1 & BE

On Monday I will visit our local DVLA office and see if there is anyway we can renew earlier than 3 months in advance. If not it looks like we will have to rely on our house carer to post the forms out to us in Fethiye.

We have renewed on line in the past and it's quick and easy.

DonM

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 19:17:01 PM »

I just sign I'm fit to drive vehicles up to 3500kgs on cats.

Don't let Tinx hear that :D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf