Author Topic: Pros and cons  (Read 5163 times)

Offline Kevin Sowten

• Newly Registered
Re: Pros and cons
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 13:12:38 PM »
It might sound naive, but surely the responsiblity for building maintenance should be written into your rental contract.
We intend to rent through an agency so would hope that they would sort all of that out ?

Offline Scott and Lisa

• Newly Registered
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 13:15:59 PM »
i could imagine telling my tenants that!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 13:16:29 PM »
You are correct Kevin, you sound naive  ;)

No seriously, contracts can say what they like - once people are in, my experience is (often, not always), they are on their own. Things simply don't get done as the landlord knows in a waiting game the tenant will crack long before he does.

Offline LeeGlo

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2013, 14:39:38 PM »
Well we've done both, owned and now renting. We didn't really have any problems with the actual purchase it was the constant hassle with neighbours who were renters not wanting to pay their share of the costs for the pool/garden etc. It was always "ask the owner", who would then say "ask the tenants", you just couldn't win.

As others have said at least if you have problems with a rental it's much easier to just move than if you need to sell up first. And if for any reason you need to return to the UK to live there is nothing quite so portable as cash.

As Scunner says though a Turkish landlord is not nearly so accommodating as an English one, ours showed us everything working when we moved in and said "I give it you working, you give it me back working". However we had only been in the place a month when the hot water tank started leaking into the attic bedroom, we knew he'd had the problem before (as evidenced by the water marks on the ceiling) so we called him out and he did get a plumber to sort it at his expense.

The only downside to renting is that you can never feel that your home is permanent.  Lots of things would need to change in Turkey in relation to inheritance laws etc to temp us to buy again.

Offline Harmless

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2013, 15:05:23 PM »
And agents here tend to be let only, so repair issues would be between the landlord and the tenant.

Offline WordBird

• What's the worst that could happen?
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2013, 15:20:13 PM »
Move along, nothing to see here, don't mind me....

I'm commenting so that this shows up in my 'new replies to your posts' tab, because I'm really interested in the thread.
Not because I've got anything intelligent to add....  :o ;D

Offline Menthol

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2013, 17:33:33 PM »
The head told me to rent. The heart said 'Yeah, right .....'

Apart from a brief time whilst at Unis in Leicester and Manchester (rent for a 2 bedroomed maisonette in the delightful Hulme, was £5 a week plus bills), we haven't really rented a home anywhere.

I think everything Kevin says is spot on and VERY sensible. But personally I would hate that temporary feel and of it not being our own place. What if the landlord decides to rent it out to his/her cousin or demands a ridiculous rent increase? (this is currently happening to people we know in Calis)

It is true that those of us over 30 in the UK are conditioned into thinking that owning our own home is the only real option. It most certainly isn't the norm in the rest of Europe. But that is rapidly changing and I suspect we will have an entire generation growing up renting, initially at least because they have no choice.

I researched the property market in Turkey for a good 12 months prior to buying and I would say I saw a change even in that short period. The asking price in Turkey, in my experience, is simply a guide. It's very much a buyers' market at the moment and don't worry about putting in what seems like a really silly offer.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf