Author Topic: P'd off with Turkcell  (Read 4547 times)

Offline LeeGlo

P'd off with Turkcell
« on: October 12, 2013, 18:37:36 PM »
I'm totally p**d off with Turkcell at the moment.

We have a VINN dongle each for internet and have been getting a 3 Gb for 3 month package for some time. Last week one dongle had run out of credit well before the package expiry date so we went to top it up, we have done this many times before, but this time we were told that we could not buy the same package as the old one hadn't expired. We could buy any other package no problem.

The other dongle package expiry date is 15th October and still has some credit, today I tried to top up with the same 3Gb x 3 month package and again I couldn't until the old package ran out. Previously I could top up before the expiry date and the remaining credit would be added to the new package but it seems they have moved the goal posts now. 

So unless you can accurately predict your usage and buy the appropriate package you are stuck with either losing left over credit or having to change your package if you run out before time.  Pain in the you know what.  >:(

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
Re: P'd off with Turkcell
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 21:45:06 PM »
Why do you have 2 dangles may I ask?

Offline desmartinson

• Banned
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 07:22:59 AM »
Don't quite follow the package you have Leeglo, the 3 month package I use is for 10 gb and costs 79 lira, sometimes mine goes too before the 3 months, but of course that depends on what you are using. if one is downloading music or watching you tube etc , it will eat your 10 gb a lot faster, also why do you need 2 dongles?. hope this helps.

Offline Marggie

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 08:13:39 AM »
I think the point LeeGlo was making was that in the past if they used up their 3 gb before the expiry date they could just go and top up again.  They were refused this option this time.

They probably also have the older type dongle which only supports one piece of equipment.  Check Loz's post on the VINN mini wi-fi which support multiple pieces.

http://www.calis-beach.co.uk/forum/telephones_broadband_and_mobiles/mobile_internet_access_50660.msg315223.html#msg315223
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 08:24:34 AM by Marggie »

Offline SteveJ

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 09:22:10 AM »
Don't get me started on Turkcell - oh you have.

I bought a pair of 30tl headphones from the shop near to Paspatur and on the first attempt at home to put them on one of the arms snapped off. I took them back to the shop the next day only to be told that they couldn't replace them until Monday when the Manageress returned. Even with the help of a Turkish friend to translate we could not pursuade them to change them even though the woman who had sold them to me was in the shop. We flew out on Monday so I knew that I wouldn't have any time to go back to Fethiye so I just threw them on the counter and stormed out with as much of 30tl's worth of indignation that I could muster.

Customer service gone bad.  >:(

Offline LeeGlo

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 09:47:59 AM »
Marggie is right, we have 2 dongles because we have a laptop each. Yes they are the old type of dongle. The bottom line is that we couldn't top up with the SAME package before the current ones expiry date even though all the allowance had been used, but could and did with a different package. Also by waiting until the current package expiry date any remaining credit will now be lost. Just to be peevish we put 1 GB for 1 month on each, so instead of spending 59TL each we spent 29TL each. Why do they always have to mess with something that is working just fine !!

I think we may now look into the wifi-vinn option, so thanks for the link.

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 10:56:01 AM »
Another option to consider is Connectify pro you effectively use this program to turn your laptop into a 'hotspot' it costs about £25 i off payment. The free version does not work with 3G dongles, then you only need top up one.
Not as versatile as the mini wifi but it is another option and cheaper.

Offline LeeGlo

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 12:43:03 PM »
Thanks for your suggestion Bewva but as we live in Turkey permanently and don't have any wired internet I don't think it would work for us.

Offline teetee

• Travel broadens your mind......and your waist!
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 09:20:48 AM »
As Marrgie has mentioned and after lots of positive advice from Loz we got a VINN WiFi unit is May and have used it on out visits this year and all you need to do if the data runs out is top it up and unless you do not use it for 3 months you do not lose and of the data.

4GB was 29TL I think.

Works really well even high in the mountains and you can connect more than one device at a time. Best piece of technology I have bought in Turkey!!!

Offline SteveJ

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 22:32:07 PM »
29TL is 1GB for 1 month or at least that was what the buggers who sold me the crap headphones charged me or just maybe I've got "MUG" tattooed across my forehead?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf