Author Topic: Translate to Turkish  (Read 4073 times)

Offline snowtop

Translate to Turkish
« on: July 09, 2014, 08:34:50 AM »
does anyone know of a Eng/Turk translation (not dictionary, I have a well worn one of those)  app that I could use without the need for wifi.
If, I am out in the wilds and need assistance a translator would be ideal.
I know I should speak the language but due to my non-retentive memory, I am still limited in my knowledge of the language.  Lessons are wasted on me because 100yards down the road the sentence is lost in the emptiness of my skull

Offline Hamlet

Re: Translate to Turkish
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 08:52:45 AM »
Welcome to my world  ??? :-\

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 09:01:03 AM »
I can write the Turkish I know quite quickly but often find when trying to actually say it out loud I end up looking like a puffing goldfish!

Engaging brain to mouth is much harder but practicing does help and most Turks won't mind at all    :)

Offline Fran

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 09:02:28 AM »
There is an app called wordlens, which doesn't require a connection, it's free to download but you have to pay for the languages, I haven't got it but it's recommended on money saving expert site.

Offline Rana

• Newly Registered
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 09:23:06 AM »
I still have to rely on my husband when we go to visit family in Turkey. I know simple language but then everyone automatically thinks
I know full Turkish or at least they think I should know it by now :D But living in UK my husband starts to talk Turkish to me
to try and teach me more but my brain gets tired and bored. :P

Offline Marggie

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 10:11:15 AM »
I can write the Turkish I know quite quickly but often find when trying to actually say it out loud I end up looking like a puffing goldfish!

Engaging brain to mouth is much harder but practicing does help and most Turks won't mind at all     :)

I'm exactly the same Nichola, the Turkish I know I can write very quickly and in the correct order.  I'm quite comfortable speaking Turkish at the market and shops, possibly because they don't really know me.  Like you sometimes when I try to speak my mind goes blank and then afterwards I know exactly what I should have said.

What helps me most is to be in the company of a Turk who speaks no English, then I have no option other tan to try.  I have a couple of Turkish friends with very good English but some days they will only speak Turkish to me and make me answer in Turkish.

Wish I had made a concentrated effort to learn Turkish seven years ago when we first came and I was younger.  From the beginning I had Get By in Turkish which consisted of a book and 4 discs that coupled with some other books gave me a basis and quite an extensive vocabulary.  It was only a year ago that I started structured training which has helped immensely and  I thoroughly enjoy.  The next book I need to buy is 201 Turkish Verbs from Amazon.

Offline jondo

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 12:33:07 PM »
Snowtop, Word Lens (as Fran mentioned) is an app which I have on my i-phone. You hold it over written text. I use it for French translation into English but it does sometimes come up with words that are way off the mark, and sometimes even inappropriate! But if you persevere it will give you the gist of what's written down. I probably wouldn't dare use it the other way (i.e. English to Turkish) for fear of speaking gobbledegook or worse! But it does work, with patience.

Offline angela

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 12:56:58 PM »

Engaging brain to mouth is much harder but practicing does help and most Turks won't mind at all       :)

I'm exactly the same Nichola, the Turkish I know I can write very quickly and in the correct order.  I'm quite comfortable speaking Turkish at the market and shops, possibly because they don't really know me.  Like you sometimes when I try to speak my mind goes blank and then afterwards I know exactly what I should have said.

What helps me most is to be in the company of a Turk who speaks no English, then I have no option other tan to try.  I have a couple of Turkish friends with very good English but some days they will only speak Turkish to me and make me answer in Turkish.

Wish I had made a concentrated effort to learn Turkish seven years ago when we first came and I was younger.  From the beginning I had Get By in Turkish which consisted of a book and 4 discs that coupled with some other books gave me a basis and quite an extensive vocabulary.  It was only a year ago that I started structured training which has helped immensely and  I thoroughly enjoy.  The next book I need to buy is 201 Turkish Verbs from Amazon.

Just had a look at this book  on amazon, it is quite expensive new, but I ordered a used one for a penny!! Thanks to Marggie

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf