Author Topic: Plumbing, leaks, damp and remedies  (Read 4445 times)

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
Plumbing, leaks, damp and remedies
« on: October 20, 2014, 11:27:44 AM »
Not sure this is the right section for this post, but it was the best I could find.  Also I do not necessarily suffer from all of the problems below, but know it is a common problem that perhaps we should discuss in one thread and bring to bear all of our collective knowledge, experiences(good and bad) and considered thoughts.

I am sure that most of us have suffered Turkish plumbing and its propensity to leak or worse break altogether, generally caused by the use of cheap plastic plumbing and, unfortunately, poor workmanship. Now when you can get access to leak/breakage it is not a major problem as we can make a repair, clear it up, and if necessary repaint any damaged areas, but whatabout when we cannot access.

So how do we deal with leaks when they are buried in the wall (rather somewhere in the wall, not necessarily where you can see the damp patch) or worse when the leak is somewhere behind tiled walls, and lets say expensively tiled walls!!  It raises the questions such as:-

How do you find the origin of the leak?  Especially when you have brick pot walls, where water can run from almost anywhere?

How do you get access into walls, both tiled and non tiled.

If the water is not gushing out should you just leave it, and just deal with the damp problems, perhaps every year or more frequently?

How should you deal with the damp areas, both if and if you have not fixed the leak that caused the problem, both for internal plastered walls and external rendered walls, in particular drying out, sealing and repainting?

If you do have to replace plumbing how do you ensure it will not go again?

I suppose much of the above could also apply where people have leaking roofs, gutters even exposed walls, where problems particularly occur during the 'rainy season'.

So come on in on this discussion, the waters not so lovely!!  ;)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Plumbing, leaks, damp and remedies
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 12:10:24 PM »
The Turkish plastic fittings (at least the ones I've seen) are not much different to those sold in the UK.  The main issues are in both the fitting and routing of wastes and supplies - I've seen sink wastes where almost every coupling was under stress due to careless routing, this invariably leads to failure of the join as they are not designed to be "stressed" laterally.

As regards internal leaks, any decent plumber - and there are a few in Fethiye - will soon work out where the leak is coming from.  If it is behind tiles etc, no real alternative to stripping the wall back and repairing the leak.  If you leave it there is the possibility it will gradually worsen and cause more damage - if you're in an apartment, it may also cause damage to your neighbours property as well.  If he's good enough to trace the leak then its also likely he's good enough to repair/replace the damaged pipework in such a way you wont have a repeat of the problem.

Bearing in mind that water=tl, this should act as an incentive to stop any tl's that are flowing down your drain.

JF

Offline jondo

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 12:35:07 PM »
Good idea UBT. There will be many problems and less solutions!

Here's one leak we had. The bedroom wall below the aircon unit was always damp from year one. During the first 5 years of purchase the builders would come in each April and re-skim and paint the wall. We couldn't work out how the leak was occurring - had various experts make suggestions such as a loose connection in the unit to the drain pipe or condensation building up around the drain pipe and then flowing down the brick pots and into the plaster.

So, in October last year I borrowed a kango and carefully stripped off the plaster and the cement render. Would you believe it?! A hole in the drain pipe. The cause of the hole can only be the subject of speculation - I've a list of suspect ideas! I spliced in a peace of pipe with PTFe tape and a year later we have a totally dry wall!

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 14:27:49 PM »
Don't forget that although you may have a leak behind a tiled section, it MAY be possible to access it from the other side of the wall.

Offline sadler

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 15:16:51 PM »
Can anyone else see the monkey hiding in Jondo's photo? :D

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 15:53:51 PM »
Yes !!!!

Offline scorcher

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 15:57:39 PM »
Leaky the Leprechaun more like!

Offline sadler

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 18:30:28 PM »
Just noticed that there are two of them, one tiny one upside down on the bigger one's shoulder. Obviously a colony has been uncovered! Be afraid, be very afraid! :o

Offline jondo

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 18:41:28 PM »
I'm available for sculpture commissions- reasonable rates!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf