Author Topic: Registering Uk mobile to use Turkish sim  (Read 5020 times)

Offline warby21

• Newly Registered
Registering Uk mobile to use Turkish sim
« on: March 10, 2016, 12:22:05 PM »
Hi All.
I was thinking about taking old uk mobile to use with turkish sim when we come out to calis  early may, but after reading many posts  on CBF re the cost of this, I had then decided that to buy a cheap mobile when I get to turkey would be a better option.

However I found the following on the Turkish Consulate London website:-

"MOBILE PHONES NEED TO BE REGISTERED FOR USE WITH SIM CARDS BOUGHT IN TURKEY

Turkish and foreign visitors are entitled to bring one mobile phone into Turkey within one calendar year for use during their stay in Turkey. A personal mobile phone brought in to Turkey in this manner is exempt from tax and duty.

It is necessary to register the mobile phones in order to use them with SIM card bought from a Turkish network operator. (In order to use such a mobile phone with a SIM card bought in Turkey from a Turkish network operator, the mobile phone number assigned to the SIM card needs to be correlated with the IMEI number of the mobile phone. The handset can only be registered with one line. Phones not registered in this way will be blocked and unable to receive or make calls. There is no charge levied for this registration.)

No customs documents are required for the registration of mobile phones.

Mobile phones to be brought into Turkey are to be registered with the Telecommunication Institution or with the mobile phone shops of Turkish Network Operators (Avea, Turkcell or Telsim).

Documents required for the registration of mobile phones are:

TR Citizenship Number or Passport number
Passport (Identity details indicated on the passport)
Copies of all Turkish entry/exit stamps in the passport
No more than one mobile phone per person can be registered in one calendar year."

http://www.turkishconsulate.org.uk/en/other_services.asp?PageID=12

Is this a change and likely to be a cheaper option or should i stick with buying a turkish phone.
I would be grateful for any of your expert views re this.
 ???  ???

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Registering Uk mobile to use Turkish sim
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 12:40:51 PM »
You need to register the phone within 28 days of entering the country - tax office then Turkcell and you'll be round about 180tl down before you even buy a SIM. 

Maybe worth having a look at some of the secondhand phone shops - there's some near the fish market and some more out near the Tuesday market.  If you'd be happy with something basic you may be able to pick up a secondhand phone which saves the hassle of registering your UK one.

Not got a clue what the prices are these days but you've got 28 days so enough time to have a look and if nothing takes your fancy, toddle off to the tax office and register your UK handset.

JF

EDIT: Meant to say, the Turkish Consulate web site is ok for general information but what they say on the site in relation to many things is often not reflected in Turkey.

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 14:55:10 PM »
The thing that drives how much you will pay, will be what you use your mobile for?  If it is just to make calls and no surfing/emails then you can pick up some cheap chinese/turkish handsets here for somewhere north of a couple of hundred.  If you want it for calls and surfing then you are looking around 500-600, probably include a camera too.  If you want a good quality android for calls, surfing, and for all your favourite apps, plus a good camera then there are some fine non mega brands handsets available for around 1200 lira.

Places to look Kipa, the 'electronics' shop in the shopping mall, or even online if you can via sites like Hepsiburada, ALSO keep an eye out in Bims or A101 who often have some good deals on mobile handsets, and if you haven't got one already BIMS has the cheapest sim and calls/data packages in Turkey.

I have brought in a UK phone and went through all the hassle of registering, taxing and advising Turkcell.  That will cost you around 200TL these days, and that will go a long way towards a new handset, with a lot less hassle chasing around town.  If you do decide to register UK a post here on CBF how to undertake the necessary steps on CBF, but it was a few years back.

Offline chris35

• Newly Registered
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 09:36:36 AM »
Hi All.
I was thinking about taking old uk mobile to use with turkish sim when we come out to calis  early may, but after reading many posts  on CBF re the cost of this, I had then decided that to buy a cheap mobile when I get to turkey would be a better option.

However I found the following on the Turkish Consulate London website:-

"MOBILE PHONES NEED TO BE REGISTERED FOR USE WITH SIM CARDS BOUGHT IN TURKEY

Turkish and foreign visitors are entitled to bring one mobile phone into Turkey within one calendar year for use during their stay in Turkey. A personal mobile phone brought in to Turkey in this manner is exempt from tax and duty.

It is necessary to register the mobile phones in order to use them with SIM card bought from a Turkish network operator. (In order to use such a mobile phone with a SIM card bought in Turkey from a Turkish network operator, the mobile phone number assigned to the SIM card needs to be correlated with the IMEI number of the mobile phone. The handset can only be registered with one line. Phones not registered in this way will be blocked and unable to receive or make calls. There is no charge levied for this registration.)

No customs documents are required for the registration of mobile phones.

Mobile phones to be brought into Turkey are to be registered with the Telecommunication Institution or with the mobile phone shops of Turkish Network Operators (Avea, Turkcell or Telsim).

Documents required for the registration of mobile phones are:

TR Citizenship Number or Passport number
Passport (Identity details indicated on the passport)
Copies of all Turkish entry/exit stamps in the passport
No more than one mobile phone per person can be registered in one calendar year."

http://www.turkishconsulate.org.uk/en/other_services.asp?PageID=12

Is this a change and likely to be a cheaper option or should i stick with buying a turkish phone.
I would be grateful for any of your expert views re this.
 ???  ???

I followed these instructions and had no problems and only payed 50tl plus the price of a SIM card . I would suggest the phone you take over is an old type Samsung phone and NOT a smart phone. Mine has been working happily for 2 years without any problems.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 09:43:06 AM »
I followed these instructions and had no problems and only payed 50tl plus the price of a SIM card .

When you did it, over two years ago, there wasn't the level of tax there is now.  It's somewhere in the region of 130tl plus the rules have changed in respect of timescales for registering a foreign mobile.

JF

Offline pompeylee

• Newly Registered
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 14:42:25 PM »
Hi does anyone know if I don't register my phone will it just be the making & receiving of calls that is blocked i.e will I still be able to use it for internet via Wi-Fi etc?
Thanks in advance.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 15:23:59 PM »
You'll be putting a SIM into it so I assume it'll still need to be registered.

Why not buy a secondhand Turkish phone if you just want to do that ?

Offline pompeylee

• Newly Registered
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 15:29:07 PM »
Thanks KKOB we have a cheap ( non smart) Turkish phone/sim  for the bank etc but would be nice to have a phone to use whilst out for whatsapp etc but always have the ipads for emails and websites.

Is there a tax office in calis we can register phones at & we've been here 30 days so far is it to late?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf