Author Topic: Demonstrations in Fethiye  (Read 9056 times)

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
Re: Demonstrations in Fethiye
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2016, 18:29:35 PM »
You are quite right KKOB that its just as likely to happen in the uk too, but sadly there has been four bombs this year in Turkey, Ankara and Istanbul we arent even in the fourth month of this year yet..

I felt exactly the same as Menthol about glad they are attempting to take precautions but also very sad indeed...

Offline karaokemark

• Chesterfield, UK
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2016, 08:26:18 AM »
The thing is KKOB it is not nearly as likely to happen in the UK, Turkey has made so many enemies they are now queueing up to cause carnage. in the Uk there is still a large threat from militants as in the rest of the world. But Turkish foreign policy has left them wide open to greater threats

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2016, 09:36:19 AM »
The thing is karaokemark, it's very likely that a large-scale attack WILL be carried-out in the UK sometime in the future. When it is, it will most likely be a spectacular event on the scale of, or greater than, that of the 1996 Docklands bomb. The security services in the UK have admitted that it is mainly by luck that they have managed to avert previous attempts.

Having said that, I wouldn't have second thoughts about travelling to London, Istanbul, Ankara etc. because of the perceived threat.

Offline Steve A

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2016, 10:49:18 AM »
UK threat level is and has been for sometime Severe Which suggests an attack is highly likely.i think most of the western world has an equivalent alert status so it's everywhere.However playing the probability game due to recent attacks it is more probable that Turkey has another incident before the UK .
In any case it will not stop me going about my business,yes Iam more aware,yes Iam more alert to the risks but that can only be a good thing I think.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2016, 12:01:00 PM »
As I've mentioned several times before, I took a short break from Turkey to visit London - on 7/7. We holidayed in the very hotel in Tunisia that the gunman entered, we were there one year to the day previously.

As someone who would probably avoid Turkey and then get blown up in Perth the same week, I'll just stay aware and vigilant wherever I go.

If the campaign shifts or elevates to target Turkish beach resorts I won't be taking the risk of taking my family to Turkey - but for now I don't feel there is any significantly higher risk in Calis than there was in Sousse, or London.

Offline davybill

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2016, 13:20:51 PM »
The Terrorist they caught in Belgium said he was thinking of blowing his self up in the Stade  De France, stadium,
so  no ones safe, and its terrible to think how many casualties there would have been

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2016, 15:32:07 PM »

Yeah he chickened out and left his suicide vest in the street, where kids could have found it.

And now the sick b##tard is suing the French Prosecutors for disclosing his change of plan.!!

Human Rights.?

Offline Rana

• Newly Registered
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2016, 16:09:11 PM »
I visited Rome in February for a few days. The whole time I was there I didn't once think of a terrorist attack. It could have happened in Rome as it is full of tourist most of the year. They have also had terror threats. I don't want to live in fear but I will be vigilant and carry on enjoying holidays.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2016, 16:24:05 PM »
If (God etc Forbid) there was a bomb in a Turkish resort, it's statistically unlikely to be Fethiye/Calis. If it was in Fethiye/Calis it probably wouldn't be while you were on holiday there. If it was in Fethiye/Calis and it was at the time you were on holiday there, you are statistically hugely unlikely to be in the specific area of it and get hurt.

When you reason it through in those terms, you either get on with enjoying your life or avoid your kitchen for fear of one day cutting yourself with the bread knife.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2016, 16:28:38 PM »
The timing of this latest bombing couldn't have suited the ruling AK Parti more (read into that what you want).

Nevruz day celebrations across Turkey have been banned - the tear gas, water cannon and TOMAS were out in Istanbul today (in Bakirkoy) and a lot of arrests were made.  Ankara has also totally banned any celebrations and the majority of the south eastern provinces have also had Nevruz celebrations banned.

JF

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf