Author Topic: Info please regarding security  (Read 10821 times)

Offline woody

Info please regarding security
« on: April 03, 2016, 12:09:13 PM »
Myself and a friend are due to stay in the calis area in the next couple of weeks but my friend now tells me that he has be told of security issues regarding British people in that area, i have looked at various websites regarding this but i can’t find anything to substantiate what he has been told so i though i would ask the experts like yourselves who live in the area for your opinions on this.

Kind regards

Woody

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Info please regarding security
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 12:17:25 PM »
Nothing specific in regard to British in the area woody.

Offline woody

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 12:32:42 PM »
Thank for that Scunner I thought that would be the case.

woody

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 12:33:25 PM »
Maybe this is a reference to the US Dept of Defence recalling all non- service personnel from the Mugla area. To my knowledge, there are no US military in the Fethiye / Calis area, or at least not in any numbers. There is a US naval base somewhere around Marmaris, which also happens to be in the Mugla.

I am on the committee of 3C's charity & we liase with the local chief of police regarding our larger events, of which there have been 2 in the last 10 days or so, neither of which seem to have raised any particular concern.

Never say never, but just as it was when I lived in London in the 70's / 80's a question of remaining vigilant

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 12:43:09 PM »
But even with that recall, the US didn't advise American citizens against travel to Mugla/Izmir - the advice to them is the same as our own FCO advice to Brits travelling to the areas.

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 13:40:59 PM »
Woody ask your friend for his source next time, that way we can knock it back or listen to it as appropriate.  At that moment there is a large amount of crap being talked about or reported in the UK about Turkey in general, with no specific reference to this area.  As someone has said already, never say never, but that applies as much in London, Bradford, Leeds, Glasgow, Cardiff as it does here!

Offline Dutchie

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2016, 14:59:21 PM »
There have been rumours for quite a while and nobody knows how accurate these rumours are. Looking at the increased security at Erasta, I tend to take these rumours serious.

Does that mean I won't go to the Sunday market? No, it doesn't but it does mean that I don't take my 6-year old with me.

Offline Dutchie

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2016, 15:05:42 PM »
Generally speaking all over Turkey people are trying to avoid crowded places such as shopping centres, public transport, markets, etc.
No matter how rose coloured your glasses are, Turkey is a less safe country at the moment. Threats have been made so it doesn't appear to be over.

Personally I feel that the risk of something happening to me is as likely as me winning the lottery but in the meanwhile I will stay away from places like for example the fish market.

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
Info please regarding security
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2016, 15:19:31 PM »
Ive been in Fethiye town centre 3 times this week. It's so quiet, even on Tuesday, very few cars and people.
The ex pats seem to be shopping as normal though.
I asked a lady in a shop in paspatur where everyone is and she said people not coming, scared bombs, not just tourists, everyone.

I spoke to a guy that runs a breakfast place in Yaniklar yesterday and he said it's even quiet there, and probably very very unlikely anyone would target Yaniklar.
He was contemplating building new kosks and tables, but has decided not to.
Very sad, the economy is going to suffer for sure.

Having sad that, the suns shining, it's gorgeous and I feel safe, although I have found myself looking around at everyone on the dolmus although I have no idea what a terrorist looks like!

Saw quite a few tourists in the market today, funny I used to wonder how the locals knew they were tourists, but they really do stand out when we're in trousers in 24 degrees.

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2016, 16:12:39 PM »
There have been rumours for quite a while and nobody knows how accurate these rumours are. Looking at the increased security at Erasta, I tend to take these rumours serious.
So on that basis the usual lax security I saw at Dalaman airport last night suggests that I shouldn't take the threat too seriously????

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf