Author Topic: Too Many Dogs  (Read 20117 times)

Offline Clioman2

Too Many Dogs
« on: June 18, 2016, 06:21:39 AM »
Seem to be a high number of dogs so early in the season. Other night there was a group of a dozen at the junction of the main street and the beach Road. A bit intimidating for those who are not keen on them.

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
Re: Too Many Dogs
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 06:49:47 AM »
In April my daughter was with us for a week with her family and usually went to the promenade for their evening meal (her, her husband a  ten year old and a 6 month baby). After a few days she  said we are not going tonight as we get followed by 4 or 5 dogs (from Cafe Pazar area) - right on to the promenade - the initial group pick up a few others on the way - who then have one or two fights with passing dogs - and it can get scary especially with children. We try to shoo them sway at the outset but it hasn't worked. The last thing people on holiday or businesses need.

Offline mac2010

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 08:14:30 AM »
Every morning I count at least 10 street dogs along the seafront as I am walking and as you say sometimes they do not bother me but my wife hates it when they start to follow.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 09:21:24 AM »
We have noted a few more dogs this year, particular around the Cafe Pazar to Baba Firin area.  Saw a pack of them having a fight there a one day.  The dogs we have seen look well fed and some have collars so have owners.  >:( :o
We did not see lion dog this trip, wonder is he still around?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2016, 09:41:01 AM »
Come back Tinx!

Offline tamd

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2016, 10:39:07 AM »
I am told that a lot of the dogs with collars are left behind by their owners. It is so sad to see them all running about, mostly hungry and looking for affection. It does seem quite bad this year and quite scary at times.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2016, 10:52:45 AM »
Yes, we know some Brits who are coming back and arranging to have their cats and dog returned to the U.K.
They told us that some ex-pats had told them to just leave the animals behind.  I don't know how anyone would want to suggest such a cruel thing to do.

Offline jrichards1

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2016, 12:17:35 PM »
We have had railings put on the top of the wall surrounding the complex to stop them from jumping over and running riot. A pack of them fighting and pooing everywhere.
There have been times when people were unable to get into their apartments, especially early hours of the morning. Very worrying as the treatment for a dog bite I understand is a lengthy process of medication.

Offline CleopatrasAsp

• Irish by birth, Geordie by marriage!
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2016, 13:28:49 PM »
We have noted a few more dogs this year, particular around the Cafe Pazar to Baba Firin area.  Saw a pack of them having a fight there a one day.  The dogs we have seen look well fed and some have collars so have owners.  >:( :o
We did not see lion dog this trip, wonder is he still around?
Aslan is living now in the Uzumlu area with his British owner who occasionally brings him into Fethiye and Calis.  He's very happy, very well-cared for and still very much petted when he makes an appearance.
With regard to the number of strays around, I believe I'm right in saying that if they are wearing collars and have not been neutered then Animal Aid volunteers cannot take them for neutering, as they are assumed to be owned.  A lot of the problems with aggressive packs are down to bitches being in season, and whilst Animal Aid do what they can to spread the word  about neutering and to collect funds for neutering and feeding programmes, it is a thankless task sometimes.  It is also true that many dogs are just being abandoned by heartless owners moving on to pastures new, or simply just tired of them (and not all of them are Turkish).

Offline tamd

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2016, 14:24:36 PM »
If people were made to get a licence for a dog, would it make a difference?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf