Author Topic: Some general observations/comments on our 2016 visit  (Read 3850 times)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Some general observations/comments on our 2016 visit
« on: June 25, 2016, 21:10:53 PM »
Appearances:

A serious point to start with sadly...........

The size of my expanding waist line has reached disgusting levels and needs to be seriously addressed, and soon.

On a happier and certainly more interesting note.............

The improvements to Fethiye are very impress and such a contrast to when we first visited.

I understand from “that other place” that some bright spark has thought it a good idea to dig up the grass verge along the front. Not a good idea when visitors 40 % down.

Security: Glasgow v Dalaman

God forbid that it happens but there is nothing to stop an atrocity starting in large Public Areas of Glasgow Airport.  Armed police were prominent but havoc could be reeked before they got there.

At Dalaman the “only” vulnerable area is between the drop-off points and just inside the airport, There after there are numerous checks. We did see armed police or soldiers.

I confess to a small tug of concern at Dalaman.  A “what if” moment.

Bars/Restaurants/Cafes:

We noticed a marked increase in the quality of food in various establishments and the upgrading of furniture etc. in some restaurants.

We had very good meals in all the places we ate – Mangal House, The Meeting Point, Varil, George’s, Shanghai Blue, Bella Mamma, Casa di Mama, Mozaik Bahce.

We did have a clear favourite but that will have to wait for the vote.

As I have said previously, delivering the Winners Certificates is a real joy.

People:

As always, probably the most important part of our holiday. We were fortunate to meet lots of CBF members for the first time and some we have had the pleasure of meeting before. Sadly we missed others.

It was also good to meet with the wonderful 3C’s people both at the shop and at the fabulous Rod Stewart night.

A lovely moment in George’s when the waiter put the Kids Menu Board beside a 5 year old girl. She was chuffed and chatted away to the cardboard figure.

No sign of the two scales boys (perhaps they have retired) – the replacement is pretty ineffective.

Always a pleasure to see Adem again.

Also came across (separately) Alif Askin and Falcon both of whom appear to be wearing well, Particularly Falcon who never seems to change.

The highlight here without doubt however was being invited to share a meal with Sukru (the boatman), his mother and sister in their home. Simply, a lovely evening with a dear friend.

Transport:

Immaculate service yet again from Fethiye Airport Transfers. It is really nice of Levant to phone and welcome us as soon as we get into the car.

The new dolmuses are very shiny but the leg room in most places is terrible. They did also seem less frequent. On the plus side I wasn’t offered a seat when standing.

WARNING: I might well remember other aspects of our visit to bore you all with.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Some general observations/comments on our 2016 visit
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 21:30:35 PM »
H you write many posts on the CBF but in a rare compliment to your good self, I must say that I most highly rate your holiday résumés. Although not in A to Z style this time.

Offline marina

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 21:33:19 PM »
Great post H. Love to hear other people's opinions on Calis.

Your remark about not being offered a seat on the dolmus made me laugh.  When we were there in May my OH stood up to let a young Turkish girl sit down, but she flatly refused and insisted he sat down again! It's not like he's actually old (67) but his ego was more than a little deflated!  ;D

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 21:47:14 PM »
OH stood up to let a young Turkish girl sit down, but she flatly refused and insisted he sat down again!

Has happened to me twice  :( :( :( :( :( :(

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 21:50:02 PM »
H you write many posts on the CBF but in a rare compliment to your good self, I must say that I most highly rate your holiday résumés. Although not in A to Z style this time.

Thank you - but I am not sure why because we didn't do a lot and as such thought the review would be boring.

By the way, I thought I had posted it in A to Z style   ;)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2016, 23:03:33 PM »
Flight:

Booked with Thomas Cook Airlines - 20 kg; allocated seats; no meal - comparatively reasonable price.

Couldn't really fault the flight either way - well perhaps on the price of drinks which is my problem rather than TCA's - I didn't have to have one 0r six.

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 08:00:03 AM »
I find it really good manners that on a dolmus a Turkish man will stand to give his seat to a female.
Something most British men seem to have grown out of.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2016, 14:17:00 PM »
Was disappointed to be told in Duty Free at Dalaman that the allowance for tobacco was 600.

Maybe the lady was taking a leaf out of the Leave Campaign  ;)

Offline pompeylee

• Newly Registered
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2016, 19:30:20 PM »
Glad to see its not just me that struggles with leg room on the dolmuses, when I stand I can't see where I'm going so have to wait for the nod from my better half to get the driver to stop.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2016, 23:14:37 PM »
Another thing I forgot to mention was the amount of two seater electric scooters buzzing about.

Would have been perfect last September   ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf