Author Topic: Topkapi  (Read 6342 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Topkapi
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2016, 18:47:35 PM »
I had one at the original meeting point, the one run by Marc/Fatih and It was amazing. Not much use as information goes now I do realise...

Offline lissa

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2016, 19:32:21 PM »
Fatihs  parents have been my neighbours for more years than I care to remember. Fatih has lived in the Uk for a number of years now but does return to visit parents. And not any use for chicken topkapi recipe either unless Fatih can enlighten me the next time he is here! I will ask!

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2016, 17:26:21 PM »
The best Topkapi was at The Palms restaurant.. Sadly no more.. Their food was excellent... They would have given the places on the front a run for their money had they moved down there..... Miss seeing Dennis Davey there as well.. Not a greast singer but such a lovely funny bloke...

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2016, 21:54:11 PM »
Does chicken topkapi take a while to cook when done properly.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2016, 09:08:58 AM »
H, I suspect that "Topkapi Tavuk" doesn't mean much more than "Fancy Chicken" - like sticking "Farmhouse" or "Country" or "Traditional" in front of some British dish. Just makes it sound more exciting than "Tavuk Guvec". If so, there is no "proper" way of cooking it nor a required time. If you'd like to try it yourself, here is a recipe (unfortunately with US measurements) from http://www.yemek-tarifi.info/english/index.php which takes about 45 minutes.  I haven't tried it yet but it looks quite nice.

Tavuk Topkapi (Topkapi Palace Chicken) Recipe

Ingredients
  • 2 Tbsp butter
  • 5 oz chicken livers, chopped
  • 6 shallots, peeled and chopped
  • 1 Tbsp pine nuts
  • 5 cups chicken stock
  • salt and ground black pepper
  • 1 small fresh chicken, cut into portions
  • 1 Tbsp raisins, washed
  • scant 1 cup long grain rice, washed and drained
Directions 
 1 Melt half the butter in a skillet and sauté the chicken pieces until evenly browned. Stir in the liver, shallots, and raisins, and fry together for a few minutes more. Transfer to a casserole pot.
 2 Melt the remaining butter in a saucepan and fry the pine nuts until colored. Drain and add to the casserole.
 3 Pour in the stock and bring to a boil. Stir in the drained rice and the seasoning. Cover and cook for 30 minutes over medium heat until all the juice is absorbed and the chicken is tender.

Offline philrose

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2016, 09:57:32 AM »
Yup this is the link that I posted a month ago. I suspect if you cook the ingredient (minus the chicken) and use it as a stuffing for chicken breast you would have pretty much what the restaurants in Calis serve up at Topkapi Chicken...

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2016, 14:32:29 PM »
The reason I asked was that we waited what seemed to me was an inordinate time for the present Mrs H's chicken topkapi to arrive last night. Seems I may be due the restaurant an apology :-[ :-[ :-[

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2016, 19:57:09 PM »
If they cook it from scratch, they do take a longer time to serve it.  So a couple of drinks and some puffy bread first before the Chicken Topkapi.  I prefer to wait for it and know it is being freshly cooked.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2016, 14:50:31 PM »
I cooked Tavuk Topkapi earlier this week using the recipe posted by Philrose and myself. Hilary declared it "Lovely, really lovely". I'm happy with that as she can be a very critical reviewer of my food. Quite an easy recipe - the most difficult parts were getting all the ingredients and translating US cups into metric measures.

Offline CAROL BROWNE

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2016, 22:54:46 PM »
i had topkapi at cafe soul it was lovely & so moist

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf