Author Topic: buyer beware  (Read 5494 times)

Offline Janet F

• Newly Registered
buyer beware
« on: September 04, 2016, 17:38:03 PM »
last year, when staying in hisaronu, i purchased some jewellery that was sold to me as zultanite which i was informed was only mined in turkey. the stones are meant to change colour in different light situations which mine did. later after arrival back in the uk i decided to see if it was possible to purchase the same stones from uk jewellers. when performing the search, i came across a posting that was warning people about buying thes stones in turkey as there were a lot of fakes around which were just couloured glass. as a result i decided to have  my pieces checked by the assay office in birmingham. gues what - they turned out to be fake. not only had i paid a lot of money for the pieces but it cost a fair bit to be told that they were not the real thing. i cannot be sure if the jeweller in question new what he was selling or whether he was "ripped off " as well from his gem supplier. other items bought from him have been ok. I do not wish to mention names at this stage but if anyone has managed to source the real thing, i would love to know where from.
thanks,  janet f

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Re: buyer beware
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 19:35:40 PM »
There's plenty of info about zultanite on t'internet.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 19:43:26 PM »
i cannot be sure if the jeweller in question new what he was selling or whether he was "ripped off " as well from his gem supplier. other items bought from him have been ok. I do not wish to mention names at this stage but if anyone has managed to source the real thing, i would love to know where from.
thanks,  janet f

Sorry to hear of your experience Janet F but surely the jeweler should have known what he was buying from his supplier.

PS the first member to mention rubies gets it !    :) (Sorry Janet F - story on here from a long time ago.)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 19:45:16 PM by Highlander »

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 20:03:40 PM »
You've painted up your lips and rolled and curled your tinted hair..............

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2016, 23:32:15 PM »

Offline fernando torres

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 22:41:47 PM »
A few years ago a friend of mine paid £ 600 for what the jeweller told her was Tansanite, this also turned out to be just a coloured stone, I wonder if it was the same jeweller !!!

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 08:46:53 AM »
I read you post on T.A where the Jeweller was named.   It is a Jeweller, I personally would not use.
I have a Zultanite ring, bought in Calis.  I also have a full receipt which gives the stone, the diamond details and weight,also the Karat of Gold. it is dated and signed with a Jeweller's name, address and phone number.
If you get a receipt and you find out the piece of jewellery is "wrong" you then have redress. 
The question is, do you have a full receipt?

Offline lissa

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 14:07:11 PM »
Where would you report this to even if you had a receipt? And if the shop had closed?
Who is the jeweller that falsely sold this? Why not name and shame if it definitely is fake?

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2016, 14:20:13 PM »
You should begin by reporting it to the Zabita Polis. They are the equivalent of the UK's Trading Standards.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2016, 15:17:21 PM »
Where would you report this to even if you had a receipt? And if the shop had closed?
Who is the jeweller that falsely sold this? Why not name and shame if it definitely is fake?

The Jeweller has not closed, with  a full receipt you take the piece of jewellery back to him, with the report you got about it in the U.K and demand your money back.   
It is up to the O.P to name the Jeweller, it is on Trip Adivsor. 
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 15:18:25 PM by Jacqui Harvey »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf