Author Topic: N&P Warning  (Read 7595 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
N&P Warning
« on: January 30, 2017, 15:03:46 PM »
If you have an account with Norwich & Peterborough you'll have a letter from them coming through your door. The bank is being submerged under the Yorkshire Building Society and is proposing to close its current accounts by 31st August 2017. If so that is likely to be the end of the zero fee/zero load overseas cash facility. If the accounts are transferred to Yorkshire BS then they will start costing £3.75 to withdraw £100's worth of cash. Bloody Northerners! I don't think there is another debit card that offers as good a deal as N&P does today. I'll have to check out the best credit card alternatives, but the Santander Zero I got a few weeks ago isn't too bad.

Offline Kevin Sowten

• Newly Registered
Re: N&P Warning
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 17:15:31 PM »
Nice of them to let us know before the media told us !

Offline daveG

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 17:26:27 PM »
Sadly there will be a lot of NnP closures by YBS this year.

Offline Kevin Sowten

• Newly Registered
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 17:39:21 PM »
Are there any other banks that offer free foreign ATM withdrawals ?

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 17:52:35 PM »
Not by debit card. You can do it on some credit cards but then you pay extreme interest (e.g. 29.5%) until it is paid off. You can pay it off online from abroad but it just makes life a little bit more difficult - like the alternative of looking for an ATM which dishes out sterling and then finding a change office/bank. I just want to march up to an ATM, get spending money and then march away with job done and no charges.

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 20:01:43 PM »
Bad news all round this. Cash abroad was on the Martin Lewis show last week I'm sure he said you can get it on a Halifax clarity card.
I will have to suss it out.

Offline Andrew H

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 20:28:39 PM »
Halifax clarity card best alternative free overseas withdrawals BUT interest charges from day of withdraw until repaid. I have used it many times and it works fine.

Offline Lotty

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 22:36:19 PM »
I thought Halifax Clarity overseas withdrawals were free if paid up fully each month?

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 08:35:50 AM »
Lotty, ATM withdrawals are treated differently from purchases and you pay interest until you pay off the debt. You can do this online from your current account whilst abroad to minimize these charge - if you can be bothered to do that when you're on holiday - otherwise it is £1.50 a month per £100 of withdrawal.

Offline Lotty

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 09:52:41 AM »
Thank you Colwyn, I used it the first time last year but only to pay for things. I took cash with me.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf