Author Topic: Loretta Stone course  (Read 3921 times)

Offline Carpete

Loretta Stone course
« on: January 11, 2006, 17:57:31 PM »
I have noticed the above new course being promoted in the Sunday papers. Does any have any views on this please? Its over £200 and is an interactive version. Anyone tried it? Is it worth going for? :) Thanks
Carol

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
Loretta Stone course
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 21:23:47 PM »
No personal knowledge, but I understand they are used by Government departments to bring staff up to speed for foreign postings :)

p.s There is one on Ebay. Turkish level 1 (item no 7210613440) They are asking £70 for it. It is Rosetta not Loretta though. :)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 21:28:04 PM by tribalelder »

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
Loretta Stone course
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 07:27:02 AM »
It's very useful if you want to learn phrases like "The boy is underneath the aeroplane" or "The girl is jumping over the table"

Seriously though, I bought a Rosetta Stone disc on Ebay a couple of years ago, but it was only about £15. It's not ideal but it's another way of learning.

Offline Steve B

• The Hairy Branflake
Loretta Stone course
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 19:02:38 PM »
Yes Carpete,

I have a copy and KayaKoyuOldboy is right with those phrases as they are exactly whats on this bit of software. Of course the best way of learning is being in Turkey but obviously its not always possible. Out of all the 'teach yourself' tapes and other bits and pieces I've accumilated over the years I'd say the Rosetta Stone course is the best if a little expensive. If you buy it I would treat it like lessons by making sure you make time for yourself each week to learn.

All the best.

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
Loretta Stone course
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 19:20:05 PM »
got a cd from pc world beginners turkish great ,essential words and phrases,it`s helped me a lot

Offline Neil Carey

• Pc Plantpot
Loretta Stone course
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 20:34:58 PM »
I have the Rosseta Stone introduction to Turkish, which was about twenty pounds. It teaches you the basic's but a lot of it
is useless, ie the boy is in/on/under/on top of the aeroplane. The full course is about two hundred pounds, can't comment on that one.

Offline Carpete

Loretta Stone course
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2006, 23:25:23 PM »
Thanks all. We spend a lot of time each year in Turkey and know quite a few of the "social greetings" type plus direct word for word ie. bal=honey, ekmek =bread. We wanted to go deeper and this course advertises itself as using "immersion" techniques and being very interactive. It was only released in 2005 and has 2 levels. Bought seperately they are around the 300£ mark and on offer around 220£. BUT thats still an airfare of money so  I wondered if anyone had actually used it. Cheers.
Carol

Offline pauld

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 09:47:32 AM »
rosetta stone is useful and yes it does teach "the boy is under the aeroplane" etc but has good reviews, I have a copy cost about £139 not had time to look at it yet, I found "turkish in three months" to be very useful

Offline livinginthesun

Loretta Stone course
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2006, 00:20:07 AM »
Hi All

I bought Rosetta Stone Level 1 for approx. £130.  I reckon it is excellent. There are 8 units each with 11 lessons. Thats a total of 88 lessons each of which last well over an hour.  You are taught to listen, read, write & speak.  I've had it for about 2 months & I've not finished Unit 2 yet.  

Yes, in the earlier lessons you get phrases like, boy under table etc. but they are all building your vocabulary & understanding.  It is all in Turkish & you are made to work out for yourself what things mean, which helps it sink in.

I am also doing an evening class & am struggling with understanding the grammar, verbs etc.  Not necessary with Rosetta Stone! I cannot reccomend it highly enough.

Thats my humble opinion.

Pete
Moving Overseas Guide
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 00:24:07 AM by livinginthesun »

Offline curtis

Loretta Stone course
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2006, 11:05:10 AM »
hey  we have just got the rosetta stone of ebay, its very useful and very much worth it, its the first time i tired turkish and now i all ready know some phrases, its not really stuff you would use in your daily speech but still very good.

i hope you enjoy the world of rosetta

curt

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf