Author Topic: Fluent Turkish - How Long???  (Read 8215 times)

Offline Cavfan

• Prolific Member
Fluent Turkish - How Long???
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2006, 10:05:01 AM »
Oh I dunno Cheryl- that could be a useful phrase too!

Offline heatherhanum

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2006, 11:37:07 AM »
Hello I have been learning turkish for about a year, I attended warwick university night school for 2 hours each week for 3 terms and our teacher was a brilliant turkish guy.I now practice with books cassettes and i also go onto a website called www.turkishclass.com
think this is correct. this has a turkish chat and you can practice your turkish here. I have found it really helpful. I love to go out to turkey and practice though im sure i drive the turks mad with my turkish. However the turks are really patient and helpful, they seenm really pleased that we try. I think the verbs and tenses are difficult to grasp. but I love the language, I wonder when i will be fluent, I think we need as much exposure as possible. I was talking to a guy on the turkish chat room and he was fluent in 5 years, but he did live there for 3 of those. good luck to everyone and try to persevere it such a beautiful language. I would welcome any tips from anyone who has mastered the language.byee or should i say gorusuruz

Offline Linda1953

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2006, 09:38:26 AM »
And you would only learn from the parrot '' I love you, I miss you, I want you, plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz believe me!!''

Offline valentine

• Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2006, 17:56:47 PM »

You are obviously meeting all the wrong people Linda!:D

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2006, 19:12:23 PM »
Yes please, yes please. Cheaper than Asda. Buy one get me free.

Offline SEVIYORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2006, 23:50:25 PM »
I know a Turkish man who taught his wife at the time Turkish and now she can speak fluently and understand everything he said. He couldn't even arrange a footy game on the snide without her catching him out! He soon regretted it ! :D It took her 2 years to speak and understand fluent. I think it all depends on how much you understand the person teaching you and of course..practice makes perfect!!

Offline jo b

• Chandler's Ford, UK
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2006, 21:45:51 PM »
I have done two years of Turkish evening classes and I am still struggling...trouble is my Turkish friends speak such good English and they sneer at my very poor attempts!
But i laughed when I read Seviyorum's post as it reminds me of the class when we covered insults-and just how many the guy who had a Turkish wife knew-he was doing year 2 for the second time because he was struggling too-but she seems to have called him every conatation of "old man""etc!!

Offline canalman

• Aged Headbanger
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2006, 05:33:04 AM »
I have just returned to UK after a 3 month stay in Calis. During that time I had 24 lessons of 1 hour each day which taught me the grammar; what I now must do is increase my vocabulary and get plenty of practice (which will mean spending even more time in Turkey!)
Pete

Offline Teatime

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2011, 14:20:52 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by mercury

Hi Neisha. We met a woman in Finnans Bank talking to Ayse in fluent Turkish. We asked her how long it took her to become as fluent as that and she said 16 years!!!! Hope she was joking.... Anne. x

Aggree that it is so difficult to become as fluent Turkish speaker. The main reason, I guess, our language is in ural-altay language family, while English is a mix of kelt, norman, germen, latin. I took lectures in english language during my 4 years univercity education plus 12 years communication, still, even me could not know english exactly in fluent level. Alex who is a soccer, have been playing in Fenerbahce for 7 years, I could not heard even a one single Turkish word :D

Offline grahamturner09

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2011, 16:50:55 PM »
I can speak enough Turkish to get by. Bir Efes bira.:D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf