Author Topic: Fluent Turkish - How Long???  (Read 8214 times)

Offline vinvola

Fluent Turkish - How Long???
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2011, 09:30:08 AM »
5 years in Turkey and can read,write and speak in any circumstances but I rekon it will take another 5 years to become fluent.
My secret: Married one.

Offline kizkucuk

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2011, 16:46:44 PM »
Most people say 4 years.   I keep expecting to wake up and be able to do it - only another 2 years to go  :-)

Offline LeeGlo

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2011, 18:14:18 PM »
Had lessons for 2 years, learned all the grammer, vowel harmony etc., still can't get the hang of word order in a sentence. My neighbour says I must practice talking (she speaks no English), I do try but find that I'm always having to think to remember the right word - old age I guess, and I'm always asking her to speak more slowly for me. One day it will all click - I hope !!

Offline hoops man

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2011, 18:41:23 PM »
Dont feel a failure and most importantly dont feel guilty if you are not fluent. If you can get by then most Turkish people will even appreciate that your trying. Iv had some Turkish people in the past say its terrible we should speak their language and even get annoyed. Ignore them! Its not an easy language and you will never learn it if your trying too hard or pressurised. Relax about it and gradually you will pick up a few more sayings etc etc but as someone else said before the best practise is to talk with the Turks. Good luck.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf