Author Topic: turkish history.  (Read 7089 times)

Offline brummyboy

• Crocodile Dudlee
turkish history.
« on: March 07, 2006, 18:34:44 PM »
i was suprised to read today that it is thought that saint nicholas is from turkey ,patara
i was wondering if anyone else knows any interesting historical facts on turkey .[?]

marcus ;)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2006, 19:44:26 PM by brummyboy »

Offline valentine

• Prolific Member
turkish history.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 19:15:19 PM »

It isn't just thought that St Nicholas was born in Turkey - he definately was! I believe he was buried in Istanbul (but don't tell the kids!)

Offline brummyboy

• Crocodile Dudlee
turkish history.
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 19:43:16 PM »
any more turkish history anyone?

Offline Crabbit

• The Fuhrer
  • Prolific Member
  • Location: Here at the moment .... waiting to be with my Angel Pearl again
turkish history.
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 19:55:45 PM »
Yeah.
They used to have a wooden horse in Troya.

Crabbit

Offline Neisha

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 13:16:33 PM »
BB i bought the eyewitness DK guicde to Istanbul and its got a section at the start on the history of turkey, the Ottoman empire and Ataturk etc - quite interesting. and i like the Dk guides cos they have lots of nice pictures !!!!:D:D

Offline Dippey

turkish history.
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 13:34:05 PM »
Marcus
They also invented irrigation, carpets, domesticate animals (apart from dogs?!?) and have the second oldest city in the world after Jericho.

Dippz

Offline valentine

• Prolific Member
turkish history.
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2006, 15:30:56 PM »

They also had central heating, public loos, running water and steam rooms while we were still dressed in furs and painting ourselves blue!:D
Ephesus was one of the most important cities in the world and was one of the only 3 cities lit at night, the other two being Rome and Alexandria, and later the Ottoman empire was one of the largest and longest lasting - over 500 years.

Offline valentine

• Prolific Member
turkish history.
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2006, 17:28:12 PM »
For anyone religious, the shrine of the Virgin Mary is just outside Ephesus, this is where Mary is believed to have travelled to with St John after the death of Christ. It was officially recognized by the Catholic Church at the end of the 19th century and has been visited by two Popes, Paul V1 and John Paul 11. It is visited by thousands of pilgrims every year. It is a very beautiful, peaceful place where the Virgin is believed to have been buried, by Christians and Muslims alike.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2006, 17:28:58 PM by valentine »

Offline SEVIYORUM

turkish history.
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2006, 17:59:53 PM »
Christianity first bloomed in Anatolia with the first church of Christianity dedicated to St. Peter in Antioch.
Early Christians fleeing from Roman persecution found refuge in Cappadocia's underground cities.
Anatolia became the heartland of the eastern realm of the Roman (Byzantine) Empire.
The Greek Orthodox church is still located in Istanbul.
The Garden of Eden was said to be watered by a river which separated into four streams as it left the garden.   Two of them, the Tigris and the Euphrates, are found in the  mountains of eastern Turkey.
Mount Ararat, the highest mountain in Turkey, is believed to be the place where Noah's Ark landed.
The Seven Churches of the Apocalypse were all located in Anatolia -  Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamum, Thyatira, Sardis, Philadelphia and Laodicea.
St. Nicholas - today's Santa Claus, was born in Patara (next to Kalkan) and lived as the bishop of Myra in Demre (also near Kalkan).  
Followers of Jesus were first called "Christians" in today's Antakya.
All Ecumenical Councils were held in western Anatolia.
Over one hundred Christian churches of many different sects are found in the city of Istanbul.

~Sevi~

Offline Dippey

turkish history.
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2006, 21:04:46 PM »
quote:
is believed to be the place where Noah's Ark landed

How long was it in orbit for?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf