Author Topic: A couple of questions on Ephesus  (Read 3688 times)

Offline Steve B

• The Hairy Branflake
A couple of questions on Ephesus
« on: July 09, 2006, 12:01:07 PM »
It's looking more and more likely that we will be over in October and I'm just hoping its not too late to arrange a visit to Ephesus. Does anybody know if tour companies are still going as it will be so late in the season and if they are, what sort of price would I expect to pay??

I know that there is a 2 day tour that includes Pammukale too, does anybody have any experiences of this trip??

and finally.. if all fails I may drive there, so how long would it take to get there from Fethiye?

Thanks all.

Steve B.

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2006, 15:17:29 PM »
We went to Ephesesus six years ago on our first trip to Turkey.
We left very early in the morning and stopped for breakfast en route.
We visited Ephesus on a with a guide who knew his stuff.  It was an amazing experience.  When we were there they were uncovering the rich peoples houses and our guide went in and was well impressed.  We then had lunch and were supposed to go to a leather factory but the bus voted not to bother.  We then drove to Pammukale where we stayed overnight.  Dinner and turkish belly dancer in price.
Next morning we went to Hieropolis, then to Pammukale where we had free time at Pammukale to visit the museum or Cleopatras Bath.
We choose The Baths and I would advise you to do this as it was so relaxing.  We then went on to lunch and a visit to a carpey factory.
I must admit when I heard carpet factory my instincts were to stay on the bus but we went in.  I was glad I did as they showed us how the silk was collected for the carpets.
We headed home and were back in Hisaronuin time to get changed for dinner.
At that time it was £50 -money well spent.  We only had to pay for breakfast first morning and drinks.
Go you wont regret it.

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006, 15:18:34 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by heather07

We went to Ephesesus six years ago on our first trip to Turkey.
We left very early in the morning and stopped for breakfast en route.
We visited Ephesus  with a guide who knew his stuff.  It was an amazing experience.  When we were there they were uncovering the rich peoples houses and our guide went in and was well impressed.  We then had lunch and were supposed to go to a leather factory but the bus voted not to bother.  We then drove to Pammukale where we stayed overnight.  Dinner and turkish belly dancer in price.
Next morning we went to Hieropolis, then to Pammukale where we had free time at Pammukale to visit the museum or Cleopatras Bath.
We choose The Baths and I would advise you to do this as it was so relaxing.  We then went on to lunch and a visit to a carpey factory.
I must admit when I heard carpet factory my instincts were to stay on the bus but we went in.  I was glad I did as they showed us how the silk was collected for the carpets.
We headed home and were back in Hisaronuin time to get changed for dinner.
At that time it was £50 -money well spent.  We only had to pay for breakfast first morning and drinks.
Go you wont regret it.

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2006, 15:19:43 PM »
oops I edited and ended up posting it again sorry -New girl syndrome

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2006, 15:40:00 PM »
My father & I did this trip on our first (October) visit to Turkey & both thoroughly enjoyed it. I think we too paid around £50 each, but that did include breakfast on first morning.

Just a small point, I met some people last month, who'd booked the trip through Thomsons this year & it had been cancelled due to lack of numbers, so may be better to book through one of the local agents

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2006, 19:27:00 PM »
take a hat it's very hot

Offline linjim

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2006, 21:12:04 PM »
Does anyone know if you can get there by dolmus or do you have to go on the organized trips? If so how long would it take to get there. Thanks, Linda

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2006, 21:44:56 PM »
Not sure about getting there by dolmus.  It is a long trip if I remember right the tour bus took about five hours with a breakfast stop.

Offline linjim

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2006, 21:56:51 PM »
Thanks heather, sounds like it,s too far to get there and back in a day. Linda

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2006, 22:11:03 PM »
Linda I am not sure if the tour companies do a day trip.  When you have time it is worth doing the overnight trip.

Not only for the sights but also to have a look at the countryside. There are so many changes in the scenery.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf