Author Topic: Antalya  (Read 7444 times)

Offline Elsa Padfield

• Minehead, UK
Antalya
« on: August 14, 2006, 17:56:53 PM »
We went to Antalya.   Great day out; hired a car and followed the main road over the mountains etc.  On the way home, it was decided that we'd go home the scenic route along the coast.  If anyone decides to do this - DON'T!  We left the city at around 5.30 pm, caught the rush hour traffic, road works etc. At around 10pm we arrived at Kalkan; hubby by this time starving (not by the size of him then) and want to stop to eat. He was outnumbered and we stopped at Migros and stocked up on snacks and drinks and continued.  We arrived home at probably 11.30 ish very tired and hungry.
Although we had a long day, it was OK but if we were to do it again, we'd either go home the short way, or plan ahead and stay somewhere en-route.  It took around 2.5 hours to get there and probably 5.5 to 6 hours to get home in the dark. The scenery is supposed to be spectacular, but we didn't see it.  Probably a good job, because I'd've got a bit nervous driving with the sheer drops next to me I think. Some nice shops in Antalya though and worth a visit!!

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
Antalya
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 22:45:31 PM »
Yes. Antalya is worth a visit, we went in May with some of out Turkish neighbours, though went on the otobus (12 ytl each way) & stayed overnight. There's a park along the seafront that is very pleasant, so long as you stay away from the disco bars (unless you particularly like that kind of thing). The old town & marina areas are also quite picturesque.

Offline apollo

Antalya
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 08:55:48 AM »
For the experience the coast road is worth doing once. You get the chance to stop at Demre, the home of St. Nicholas.

Another hairy and spectacular route to try is Antalya-Korkuteli-Elmali-Seki- Fethiye  (another 5 hour trip)

The Fethiye and Antalya Koop buses now cost 14 Lira. The bigger buses 17 Lira

Offline Linda1953

Antalya
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 13:10:07 PM »
Been to Antalya several times over last few months [xx(]just couldnt face another trip[xx(] - been the fast and the short routes!

Offline stuart

• Professional Spammer
Antalya
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 04:23:33 AM »
some of the big 5star hotels down that way (kemer  and belek)do very good all inclusive deals in the winter, off season, we got one 99 euros for a couple last winter for 6 nights and 7 days, but 3 days of all you can eat and drink was enough for me!!

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Antalya
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 09:00:27 AM »
I have driven the coastal route to Antalya via Kalkan, Kas, Demre, Finike, Kumluca, and Kemer. Apart from the rather dull road from Fethiye down the Esen valley, the journey is full of spectacular coastal and mountain sights. Gets a bit busy after Kemer but the rest of the journey is along mostly empty roads. Best thing to do is to skip Antalya entirely and all its boring shops (yawn). We look our time, stopping for most of the interesting sites, and stayed overnight in the mountain village of Beycik, a few kilometres off the main road, overlooking Tekirova.

Offline Elsa Padfield

• Minehead, UK
Antalya
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2006, 16:58:41 PM »
Sounds great Colwyn.  However, when we went we decided to go the quick way there (didn't know there would be that much diference) and the coastal road home and as it was dark, missed the views.  we'll go the other way round next time and enjoy the view!  It was worth the trip though.

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Antalya
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2006, 19:39:59 PM »
so how long does it take the quick way?
Anne

Offline wickwilly

Antalya
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2006, 19:47:23 PM »
Hi Anne. About 2.5-3 hours is a comfortable time by car. The minibuses take about 3.5-4 I think.

WW

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Antalya
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2006, 21:50:19 PM »
thanks

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf