Author Topic: Can anyone tell me where I went?  (Read 2515 times)

Offline lindacarl

• Pontypool - which is in WALES not England
Can anyone tell me where I went?
« on: March 06, 2007, 21:33:37 PM »
Strange title I know & strange request.
About 12 years ago we stayed in a hotel in Olu when a few of us went on a diving holiday. We did Dalyan & the mud baths on one of the days off we had from diving.

We also did another trip - possibly an hour, maybe 2 hrs at most from Fethiye. I know we ended up on top of a hill - but what was on the top of the hill I'm damned if I remember (unforgetable - it was!)- whatever was on the top of the hill was what we went for.
However we looked down the hill & saw some old ruins including a large well preserved amphitheatre & loads of recognisable remains of houses, large buildings etc. The remains were right by the sea. We were told the place was abandoned 400 years ago - probably as Malaria had taken hold & no-one went back there.

Where was this? I'd love to go back there. We spent a good few hours exploring & we were the only ones down there. What was the unforgettable place on top of the hill that I've totally forgotten??

All photos are packed in a box somewhere -you know what it's like when you move from one place to another.

Anyone any idea? If I knew what was on the top of the hill, I know it might help. If you tell me what you think it might have been I might remember what it was. Does that make sense? It does to me.:D

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 08:48:24 AM »
Do you think this may have been Xanthos and Patara ?  (the ruins may have been Letoon....?)  Xanthos is sort of on a hill (i seem to remember..) and there is a lovely amphitheatre there.  From here you carry on to Patara, and approach the beach through lots of 'drowned' ruins.  There is a further site further down the coast too, Kekova ? I've never been there, but know there are tombs in the sea.  Probably a good idea for you to find your photos and post one - someone is bound to recognise it !   Good luck !

Offline apollo

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 09:10:31 AM »
It does sound like Xanthos.

Offline Steve B

• The Hairy Branflake
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 09:53:06 AM »
Yep, I agree with Pookie & Apollo. I went there a couple of years ago with KKOB.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 13:11:11 PM »
No you didn't mate. You went to Patara !

And you did something disgusting in the amphitheatre !!!

Offline wickwilly

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 14:27:21 PM »
Stop farting about KKOB tell us what he did!!

WW

Offline lindacarl

• Pontypool - which is in WALES not England
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 14:52:28 PM »
Might have been Xanthos - really not sure? My recollection (probably wrong) was that there was a broken archway in the wall surrounding whatever was on the hill, we went through this & saw the ruins. We were supposed to be going onto somewhere else (maybe Patara?) BUT we decided we wanted to explore the ruins instead. As there were just our diving party on the trip the guide was bemused but said we could although it wasn't the normal thing that tourists did. He was however very informative & we thoroughly enjoyed our diversion. The beach that the ruins led to wasn't at all like I've seen pictures of Patara. Rocky shoreline with just a bit of sand there. I thought the amphitheatre was down in the ruins near the sea BUT it might have all got mixed up in the old brain.
I'll have to find the photos & scan them.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf