Author Topic: Anamur  (Read 3998 times)

Offline hazel dorrington

Anamur
« on: February 04, 2008, 22:31:47 PM »
As I will be in Calis until the end of the month have decided to explore some different places further afield while the weather is cool. Anamur looks like an interesting place. Has anyone been there? Also thought I would go to Elmali and Mugla. Any helpful hints would be appreciated.

Offline Chinook

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 13:28:44 PM »
I would recommend that you visit Mugla on Thursday which is market day. It has some superb kofte lokantas in the back streets. For more info try www.mugla-turizm.gov.tr which also covers the whole of Mugla province

Offline hazel dorrington

Anamur
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 14:08:54 PM »
Thanks Chinook. Web site very helpful.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Anamur
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 14:31:17 PM »
I've been to Mugla a few times - it's an odd place. Some lovely municipal buildings, superb (and cheap) Lokantas, many little shops but also designer shops, there's a Nike shop, an Adidas shop - not the sort of outlets you might expect to see in Mugla.

I would definitely recommend visiting this odd place though  :)

Why they built such an important town at the top of a mountain is another question, as is just how many people at the roadside do you need (from the main Dalaman road turn to Mugla) selling toy sheep  :)

Offline ronzeus

Anamur
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 16:23:50 PM »
Thats why its very popular with the Welsh. ;)

Offline sunlover

Anamur
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 10:14:46 AM »
Can you get the dolmus to Mugla from Calis??, i have no idea from Calis as to where it is!!! as the link above has made me want to go and visit the place, it looks very interesting..

Sunlover

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
Anamur
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 11:27:49 AM »
A useful thread, thanks.  We are over for easter and I wanted to go to explore Mugla, so will now make sure its on a thursday.  Thank you.

Offline mike A

• Prolific Member
Anamur
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 21:03:39 PM »
Hazel, you might have to go to Marmaris first, then get a dulmus to Mugla
Mugla is a great town, very turkish, and well worth a visit, especially for its hassle free market

Offline Chinook

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 18:42:42 PM »
I am sure that I have seen a Fethye-Mugla badged dolmus. When going to Mugla sit on the left side of the bus so that you can enjoy the magnificent views down the Gulf of Gokova as you you climb the hairpins on the mountain above Gokova. The clarity of the air at this time of the year makes them particularly superb.
Occasionally you can even see Kos on the horizon

Offline Steve B

• The Hairy Branflake
Anamur
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008, 20:01:07 PM »
Hi Hazel,

I went Anamur about 10 years ago now and back then it was just a small place with a nice coved beach and a few shops. I'm sure it has changed quite a bit since then. If you do go then you must check out Anamur Castle, It is stunning. It looks to be in fantastic condition for it's age which I believe is 3-4th century, however I'm sure it has been patched up since then.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf